• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Compare Internet Speeds Here

New posts
This is from the Atlanta server



And this is from the Jacksonville server



And this is from the Orlando server





Internal WiFi card on a Toshiba Tecra M2 notebook running Windows XP Pro SP2, connected to a Linksys WRT54G router, on Embarq DSL near Eastern Lake.

Lousy upload speeds, aren't they. The "compare" option at Speedtest.net shows me slower than both the Florida and national averages for both upload and download.

When I set up the service, Embarq had two extra-cost options promising faster service. I passed on them, expecting that they wouldn't help much, so this is the lowest-cost option.
 
Last edited:



And here's my other Toshiba Tecra M2 (I've got 2 identical notebooks) at the Atlanta server. This one has a new hard drive, so the Windows setup is 2 years newer. Otherwise all the same connection info.
 


And finally, here's my print server, an older Toshiba Tecra running Windows 2000, using the internal Ethernet adaptor and a Cat5 connection to the Linksys WRT54G wireless router and Embarq DSL.

It looks like there are faster downloads, compared to the other 2 notebooks which are connected wirelessly to the router.
 
Last edited:


Santa RosaBeach / Embarq DSL /Desktop
 


mine is slower today than it was the other day when I tested. How does that work? Is it users online or what?
 



Mediacom dsl, wireless router, inexpensive laptop. Am I the only dum-dum that chose the correct link to copy and paste last? Oops forgot -Santa Rosa Beach.
 
Last edited:
BDarg - You are so much faster than the other Embarq users!

Did you spring for the extra-cost option for more speed?


Just out of curiosity, I shut off ZoneAlarm and reran the speed test. No difference at all. Hmmm... :scratch: :idontno:
 
Last edited:
Anybody else on Mediacom?

sowalgayboi sure had a quick download. I'm wondering if that's typical.

I think that's just 9pm on a Saturday night. It varies depending on time of day, weather, and the number of users on my connection.

I also used the Atlanta server, I guess most of us forgot to put that in. Here's todays result:



Wow, was doing that in the background while I was typing.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top