• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Computer repair needed

New posts

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
ok, I give up. I need to take my CPU's in for something tp be done.
They are so slow and freeze up all the time.
Does anyone have any recommendations for where to go????
 
Depending on whether it is a PC or Mac, if they are old, and what Operating system you have; there are some things you may want to try first.

A virus and spyware scan may be needed (unless you use virus and spyware software) if it is running slower than it did and you have not added anything recently. There are free scans available such as Symantec http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym for virus scan and Max Secure http://www.spywaredetector.net/spywarescan.htm for spyware.

You may also want to clear out your browser cache (for Internet Explorer go to Tools-Internet Options-delete files), delete temporary files in your temp directory, check your available memory (if your hard disk runs alot) and check processes that are taking up CPU time (sometimes programs that run in the background are too much for your machine to handle and need to be stopped).
 
If you have a Mac, don't do any of the above suggestions!!!!!

I use a computer guy, guru, great person, Jeff Danick. JWD Tech. He knows both PC's and Mac's. Best customer service I have ever experienced and he has solved any problem I have had.

His number is 850-368-3528. Web address is www.jwdtech.com

I can't say enough good things about this guy.
 
Depending on whether it is a PC or Mac, if they are old, and what Operating system you have; there are some things you may want to try first.

A virus and spyware scan may be needed (unless you use virus and spyware software) if it is running slower than it did and you have not added anything recently. There are free scans available such as Symantec http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym for virus scan and Max Secure http://www.spywaredetector.net/spywarescan.htm for spyware.

You may also want to clear out your browser cache (for Internet Explorer go to Tools-Internet Options-delete files), delete temporary files in your temp directory, check your available memory (if your hard disk runs alot) and check processes that are taking up CPU time (sometimes programs that run in the background are too much for your machine to handle and need to be stopped).
:D thanks, i have a pc MAYBE 2 years old. I have done all the above.....
If you have a Mac, don't do any of the above suggestions!!!!!

I use a computer guy, guru, great person, Jeff Danick. JWD Tech. He knows both PC's and Mac's. Best customer service I have ever experienced and he has solved any problem I have had.

His number is 850-368-3528. Web address is www.jwdtech.com

I can't say enough good things about this guy.
Thanks, I am calling him along with someone else today...:D
 
:D thanks, i have a pc MAYBE 2 years old. I have done all the above.....
Thanks, I am calling him along with someone else today...:D

:clap_1: ...good luck IBD!!!!
 
I thought you were supposed to throw away computers when they messed up today. It seems that new ones can be purchased at a similar cost as a repair, and you can get more memory and a faster chip in the new one.:idontno: You guys may think I am kidding, but I am serious.
 
:shock: i would not mind doing that except i just bought new software, can it be installed on a new computer????
I thought you were supposed to throw away computers when they messed up today. It seems that new ones can be purchased at a similar cost as a repair, and you can get more memory and a faster chip in the new one.:idontno: You guys may think I am kidding, but I am serious.
 
I thought you were supposed to throw away computers when they messed up today... You guys may think I am kidding, but I am serious.

PLEASE, recycle your computers. There's too much metals and chemicals in a computer to end up in a landfill, aquafer, etc.

Smiling JOe, i know the point you're making is with regard to the planned obsolescence of today's computers, but it comes with a real environmental cost.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/01/north_america_a.php
 
PLEASE, recycle your computers. There's too much metals and chemicals in a computer to end up in a landfill, aquafer, etc.

Smiling JOe, i know the point you're making is with regard to the planned obsolescence of today's computers, but it comes with a real environmental cost.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/01/north_america_a.php
You are correct. I didn't really mean throw it in the regular garbage.

IBD, be careful about that software. Much of today's software allows you to install on only one or two computers. I found out the hard way. I know these companies are trying to prevent theft but, D_MN! I have more than one computer, and what if I am replacing an outdated one? :idontno: That is just bad business for these software giants. (one other reason why I avoid Microsoft as much as possible).
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top