• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Constitution Revision Commission

New posts

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Constitution Revision Commission has endorsed a measure that would require school superintendents to be appointed in all 67 school districts.

Two measures that would affect Florida school boards and school superintendents are headed to the full state Constitution Revision Commission.

On Thursday, the commission’s Local Government Committee approved a measure (Proposal 43), sponsored by Commissioner Erika Donalds of Naples, that would limit school board members to no more than two four-year terms in office. Currently, there is no term limit for school board members.

The committee also endorsed another Donalds-sponsored measure (P33) that would require school superintendents to be appointed in all 67 school districts. Currently, superintendents are appointed in 26 largely urban districts, while superintendents in 41 smaller, more rural districts — including Okaloosa, Santa Rosa and Walton counties — are elected.

Both measures have cleared two committees and are ready for a review by the 37-member commission. If at least 22 members of the commission approve the measures, they will be placed on the 2018 general-election ballot.

Before the final vote on those and other measures, the commission is scheduled early next year to hold a series of public hearings across the state on pending proposals.

www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20171218/superintendent-appointments-school-board-term-limits-advance
 
CRC Public Hearing Constitution Revision Commission - Pensacola (Northwest) Feb 26, 2018
1 PM - 7 PM
UWF Conference and Ballroom
11000 University Pkwy, Pensacola, Florida 32514


 
Wasn't this resoundingly defeated when it was placed on the ballot in Walton County?

The referendum to appoint the Supt. failed but did not include the term limit on School Board members provision.

If given the chance to vote on the proposal I’ll once again vote “Yes”.
 
I can get behind term limits completely but think it should have started at the BCC level. Perish the thought of having to recycle the current board for another 20 years.

I understand the issue of appointing a super but don't like the thought of losing the one voice we have in being able to vote.
 
That’s a hocum reason Lynda !

I’ve served under both and can honestly say it ran better when the School Board was in control not split responsibility.

Currently both can say “not me”. Neither is truly accountable.

Just look at the Okaloosa travesty
 
That’s a hocum reason Lynda !

I’ve served under both and can honestly say it ran better when the School Board was in control not split responsibility.

Currently both can say “not me”. Neither is truly accountable.

Just look at the Okaloosa travesty


Again, not disagreeing with you. I have not experienced an appointed super anywhere I have ever lived so, I'm skeptical.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top