• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Construction Job for 19-year-old?

New posts

1st in 59

Beach Comber
My 19-year-old son has about a month free until starting summer school July 10. He has a place he can live in the area and is looking for a job as a laborer for a good construction company? With everything I'm hearing about the labor shortage in the area I'm hopeful that there are some short term opportunities out there. He's clean cut, 6 feet tall, strong, and a 3.5 GPA college student. He's open to any opportunities and would love something where he can learn something while working. He can provide great references.

Any bites or leads?
 
1st in '59 said:
My 19-year-old son has about a month free until starting summer school July 10. He has a place he can live in the area and is looking for a job as a laborer for a good construction company? With everything I'm hearing about the labor shortage in the area I'm hopeful that there are some short term opportunities out there. He's clean cut, 6 feet tall, strong, and a 3.5 GPA college student. He's open to any opportunities and would love something where he can learn something while working. He can provide great references.

Any bites or leads?
So he is wanting a job for only 5 weeks? I doubt many subs want to bother hiring anyone for such a short term, but you never know. Does he have any experience in construction?
 
Smiling JOe said:
So he is wanting a job for only 5 weeks? I doubt many subs want to bother hiring anyone for such a short term, but you never know. Does he have any experience in construction?

?Su hijo, habla ?l espa?ol?
 
I have a project I would hire him to do if he can operate a chainsaw and wood chipper. I need 1.25 acres in Santa Rosa Beach completely cleared of all underbrush and small trees - no big trees at all. I would pay $3,500 to have this done as I estimate it may take a month to complete. please call me at 205-276-5337 and I can meet him on site to show him what needs to be done.
 
sell30a said:
I have a project I would hire him to do if he can operate a chainsaw and wood chipper. I need 1.25 acres in Santa Rosa Beach completely cleared of all underbrush and small trees - no big trees at all. I would pay $3,500 to have this done as I estimate it may take a month to complete. please call me at 205-276-5337 and I can meet him on site to show him what needs to be done.

Sounds a tad dangerous, and I'm sure he's a capable young lad--regardless...just make sure there's plenty of liability insurance all around.
 
He needs to carry his own liability insurance.

There are help wanted signs everywhere. All he has to do is get in a car and drive down the street.
 
Thanks for the advice. The chainsaw job sounds a little dangerous to me, too, especially for a novice. I appreciate the offer though. He no hablas espanol and has no construction experience. I guess he'll just head down there and see what all the "help wanted" signs have to offer for short term.

Thanks again for your help.
 
1st in '59 said:
Thanks for the advice. The chainsaw job sounds a little dangerous to me, too, especially for a novice. I appreciate the offer though. He no hablas espanol and has no construction experience. I guess he'll just head down there and see what all the "help wanted" signs have to offer for short term.

Thanks again for your help.

With only a few weeks of availability, he may want to concentrate on looking for a job where he's had previous experience or something like bussing dishes where training will be minimal. Otherwise I'd recommend some volunteer work (turtle watch?).
 
There is plenty of grunt work. He will learn what it is like to be a "visitor" to this country.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top