• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Corn Bread Salad

New posts
OL, I imagine you're in the same predicament as me. In this area of the country we get HORRIBLE tomatoes!!!!!!!!!! :puke:It's just not gonna taste as good as with some wonderful tasting ripe tomatoes. I still want to try this but know it would taste better with decent tomatoes. Does anyone know, are there any decent tasting CANNED tomatoes (that don't taste like they came from a can)??

Okay I couldn't resist...even with the hot house tomatoes it is TO DIE FOR!!! It is soooo yummy. Everyone needs to make this. It will be even better tomorrow but I don't really know how b/c it is so good right now!
Actually it will be a miracle if it lasts that long.;-) We had it with a bean soup tonight.
 
I remember this recipe from last Thanksgiving. I made it and can vouch it is finger licking good. :clap:
 
OL, I imagine you're in the same predicament as me. In this area of the country we get HORRIBLE tomatoes!!!!!!!!!! :puke:It's just not gonna taste as good as with some wonderful tasting ripe tomatoes. I still want to try this but know it would taste better with decent tomatoes. Does anyone know, are there any decent tasting CANNED tomatoes (that don't taste like they came from a can)??
The tomatoes in GA are horrible this time of the year, too. I find that the "Ugly Tomatoes" are the best. If not available, Romas aren't too bad. My rule of thumb in the cooler months is if the tomato has a pinkish color, as opposed to orange-red, don't buy it.
 
Last edited:
Okay I couldn't resist...even with the hot house tomatoes it is TO DIE FOR!!! It is soooo yummy. Everyone needs to make this. It will be even better tomorrow but I don't really know how b/c it is so good right now!
Actually it will be a miracle if it lasts that long.;-) We had it with a bean soup tonight.
:clap::clap::clap: The first time I had it I had 3 heaping helpings!!!:drool:
The tomatoes in GA are horrible this time of the year, too. I find that the "Ugly Tomatoes" are the best. If not available, Romas aren't too bad. My rule of thumb in the cooler months is if the tomato has a pinkish color, as opposed to orange-red, don't buy it.
Quite true, BR, romas are ok, as are the ugly tomatoes. If you know a few days in advance, you can buy some decent looking tomatoes and let them ripen a bit. Not so great tomatoes are passable in this recipe since all the other ingredients are good enough to act as a foil.
 
:clap::clap::clap: The first time I had it I had 3 heaping helpings!!!:drool:

Quite true, BR, romas are ok, as are the ugly tomatoes. If you know a few days in advance, you can buy some decent looking tomatoes and let them ripen a bit. Not so great tomatoes are passable in this recipe since all the other ingredients are good enough to act as a foil.

I bought some decent heirloom tomatoes today. I can't wait til summer though!
 
Dang, I went to the store today and tried to remember the recipe. I bought a red pepper instead of tomatoes...I remembered there was something red from the picture and didn't even think about tomatoes!! I also forgot the green onions. I did pretty good otherwise...guess I'm going back out cause I am making this tonight! I'm actually making 2. One for us and one for a sick friend who loves corn bread. :D

OL--a word of advice. Allifunn on speed dial. Ask her--I've called from the store! :biggrin:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top