• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Cornbread Muffins

New posts

whitesands

Beach Lover
A great result of my "fresh corn pudding" recipe request were the many references to cornbread. I remember, as a very young adult, going to a restaurant for my husband's grandpa's birthday, where they served the best cornbread muffins. They were still warm and when you broke them apart and spread them with butter...mmmmm...to die for. We're very, very far up north...totally out of the southern tradition. Does anyone have a recipe for these? Do you have to use a corn "flour"...or can you use corn meal. These were so light and fluffy. Oh, just the memory takes me back...I'd love to serve these at my ribs 'n chicken bbq. Any suggestions?
 
Thanks Kathy. In my heart, I feel that I am a southern gull. My reality, however, is that I am a northern girl. If Doug was the chef before your NO-style cuisine, I think we've met him. My husband and I will definitely be at D&K's this winter when we're down. We love Nawlin's cuisine :wub: and Grayton Beach too! :wub: :wub: :wub:
 
Thanks Kathy. In my heart, I feel that I am a southern gull. My reality, however, is that I am a northern girl. If Doug was the chef before your NO-style cuisine, I think we've met him. My husband and I will definitely be at D&K's this winter when we're down. We love Nawlin's cuisine :wub: and Grayton Beach too! :wub: :wub: :wub:

:wub: whitesands....it is what's in the heart that counts!!!!:clap: :clap:

Doug has been cooking on that corner for the past 6 years. We had a D&K's Lil New Orleans Cafe (where Cafe Tango is located) from 1995-1999 with 9 tables that he cooked some of the same cuisine as he is doing now.

But, now you can get both the lunch cuisine (as before) and at dinner the casual fine dining New Orleans Style....with a Grayton Beach Twist!

:welcome: We welcome you to D&K's when you get back to SoWal!!!!

:wave: Kat
 
The real Southerners are going to mock me for saying it, but for a quick way to satisfy a corn muffin jones, the Jiffy box mixes aren't bad, and are widely available in the Midwest.
 
A great result of my "fresh corn pudding" recipe request were the many references to cornbread. I remember, as a very young adult, going to a restaurant for my husband's grandpa's birthday, where they served the best cornbread muffins. They were still warm and when you broke them apart and spread them with butter...mmmmm...to die for. We're very, very far up north...totally out of the southern tradition. Does anyone have a recipe for these? Do you have to use a corn "flour"...or can you use corn meal. These were so light and fluffy. Oh, just the memory takes me back...I'd love to serve these at my ribs 'n chicken bbq. Any suggestions?
________________________________________________________________
In my youth I baked for our local health food store, here's a couple of versions of one of my all time favorite corn meal muffin recipes!
________________________________________________________________

Quickie Down & Dirty Version

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil (your choice)
1 cup sour cream (you can use light, but not fat free)
1 cup cornmeal mix

Beat eggs
Stir in oil & sour cream
Add cornmeal mix. Don't overbeat.
Pour into greased baking dish or muffin pans
Bake 45 mins or until golden

For Gourmet Foodie types

1/4 cup real maple syrup
1/2 cup honey
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil (your choice)
2 cups sour cream (light will work, but not fat free)
1-1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

Preheat oven to 375
Stir dry ingredients to blend: cornmeal, flour, flour, sea salt, baking powder
Add blended wet ingredients: syrup, honey, eggs, oil, & sour cream
Bake 45 minutes, but watch carefully, ovens vary in temperature, and anything with honey or maple syrup will darken easily.

In season, we add our own fresh grown sweet corn and blueberries. Have fun experimenting. They can be sweet or savory, but always so yummy. And they freeze well!
_______________________________________________________________'

'Tis a gift to be simple
'Tis a gift to be free
'Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be
 
IMHO....Buttermilk is the key ingredient to good cornbread, or cornbread muffins.

I am going to try misplaced recipes above though. How yummy they sound!!!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top