• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Coughing

New posts

Do Good

Beach Fanatic
Just thought I would reach out to parents ...
My daughter has a cough that is worrying me. She did have a fever, but it is gone now. This nagging cough is unproductive, and worsens at night. I am not sure if I should take her to a doctor or let it ride out its course. She is almost 8. She seems fine otherwise.

Any advice?
 
Yea,go ahead and take her for your peace of mind. Because if she has been taking any medicine for one symptom, it could be causing a ordinary reaction that you just dont know about. But dont freak... I ran a pretty good fever last week, then felt the cough start, (unproductive,like a red tide cough) but now it is getting productive and I wish I had gone to the doctor back then.
 
In the meantime (if you plan on taking her), set up a cool mist humidifier. Have her sleep in more of a sitting position... coughing gets worse at night usually for two reasons (from what I've been told), gravity and lying flat.

My kids got a pretty nasty cough starting yesterday, it must be something going around.
 
Just thought I would reach out to parents ...
My daughter has a cough that is worrying me. She did have a fever, but it is gone now. This nagging cough is unproductive, and worsens at night. I am not sure if I should take her to a doctor or let it ride out its course. She is almost 8. She seems fine otherwise.

Any advice?

A non-productive nightime cough is almost certainly due to post nasal drip. Your child's nasal and sinus secretions flow back into the pharynx and drip down toward the trachea. Our brains are smart and do not want anything entering the trachea (gateway to the lungs) other than oxygen, thus an involuntary cough reflex is triggered (akin to the uncomfortable cough we experience when we drink something and it 'goes down the wrong way'). Your best bet is to get a sinus flush kit at the drugstore and flush before bedtime. Most cough suppressents, be they prescription or OTC are a waste of time and money.:wave:
 
Zyrtec and Mucinex have been recommended to our daughter. I don't know if your child is old enough to take those, doGooD.

From pollen allergies hubby has a terrible cough that developed into an infection. He had been on several meds. He just finished a Z-Pac. Every time he talks or eats, he starts coughing. It's pretty gross and annoying, you know, that "hock up" sound.
 
I had the same thing and it was walking pneumonia...
 
My kids and I had the same thing and it was the flowers blooming a couple of weeks ago. Allergies or non-allergic rhinitis can lead to worse stuff though if the gunk builds up and my motto is, if you think you should go to the doc....then GO to the doc
 
Zyrtec and Mucinex have been recommended to our daughter. I don't know if your child is old enough to take those, doGooD.

From pollen allergies hubby has a terrible cough that developed into an infection. He had been on several meds. He just finished a Z-Pac. Every time he talks or eats, he starts coughing. It's pretty gross and annoying, you know, that "hock up" sound.

I know. Kids are hacking all over the place here mostly due to allergies. My daughter included. She's already on allergy meds but we added a decongestant/expectorant too. She has asthma so we have to monitor her to make she it stays out of her chest. It's been so damp and rainy the past few days so no one is getting better.

doGood, as long as your child can take deep breaths without weezing or tightness then it probably is from post-nasal drip. But like someone mentioned, it's still possible to develope something else so keep an eye out. The sinus rinses are amazing if you can get your child to do one. Follow the directions carefully. You may even want to try it yourself first so you can describe how it feels and help them with it.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top