Bobby J
Beach Fanatic
I am thinking seriously about becoming a beach property owner again (I sold my condo in late 2004). My agent has advised me against short sales, saying they are a waste of time.
This thread seems to support his premise. Why would I wait 6 or 7 months to find out if my offer has been accepted when there appears to be an abundance of reasonably priced non short sale properties on the market? Especially if in the case of short sales "low ball offers are a waste of time".
It seems to me you could find a much better deal from someone who needs to sell and bought before all the craziness.
mikeyboy
It's not that clear cut. Some short sales are easy. I have done a few with Regions that were great and wrapped up in 30 days. It depends on the bank and where the short sale stands. I also advise once under contract getting with a closing attorney that handles them from the start to the finish. In my short sale package I actually have forms that she signs that allow her to now begin to work directly with the sellers bank. We then go get another contract. Short sales can be a waste of time but you can tell right away when you talk with the listing agent. First questions, how long has this been listed as a short sale? Where is the bank on this one and has a BPO been ordered? Does the seller have all the proper Docs filed? How late is the note? What is the original mortgage and is their a second (this helps for low ball offers)? Have you ever done a short sale? If not, are you willing to let me turn this package over to a title company that has?
