Air conditioning on school buses. I'm pretty sure that won't make up the difference, but FTLOG I'm not that old and we didn't have air conditioning, we all just opened the windows and the breeze was fine. I understand that special needs kids need air conditioning for medical reasons, but the average kid isn't going to die on a moving school bus without air conditioning. How much does that cost the county in the initial extra of having it on the bus, maintenance, and fuel costs?
I could deal with the courthouse being closed on Fridays or half days or something like that.
Of course, then you get into talking about cutting jobs or salaries and the uproar will follow.
I could deal with the courthouse being closed on Fridays or half days or something like that.
I once rode a school bus in early August for a day camp. I will never, ever forget that experience because I remember feeling like I was going to suffocate every day on that ride. I walked in the door to our house on the last day and passed out on the foyer floor. With these kids going back to school in mid-August, I don't think the benefits would be worth it.
The county should consider going to a 4-day workweek with 10 hour days. Jefferson County, AL is doing that, but they are staggering their employees so that all offices will be open the regular M-F days, but not all employees will work every day. The State of Utah is going to a true 4-day M-Th week will offices open from 7a.m. to 6 p.m., with offices closed on Fridays. No jobs are cut, etc. Employees still work same number of hours, but have an extra day off, and the extended hours are convenient for those needing county services.