• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
From another thread:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueshore
Hi Brad and congrats! I have a question for SJ...what can be done about all the ugly stuff left overnight on the beautiful beaches?


brad pickle said:
Great question and I will answer you in two parts. First, the enforcement of County ordinances regarding the beach can only be initiated by three agencies/people in Walton County: the Sheriff?s Department, Code Enforcement and Leslie Campbell, Beach Activities Coordinator. Of these three, Leslie Campbell is the person directly responsible and would be the best person to approach regarding the tents, umbrellas and chairs left/abandoned on the beach. She is currently working on a program on how to best address these problems and is VERY AWARE of the current situation. Her contact information is camleslie@co.walton.fl.us and her phone number is (850) 267-1853.



As for the TDC, we have placed over 400 trash receptacles along the beach that we service daily, and have recently ordered 50 more. They are emptied 7 days a week starting around 6 am. It currently takes 4-5 trucks about 8 hours to empty all of them. We do not remove tents, umbrellas, or chairs from the beach unless they are leaning against, or directly beside our trash receptacles. If items are adjacent to our trash receptacles, then they are considered trash and removed. Any other items are funneled through Leslie. Once an item is removed by us it is typically destroyed because we do not have the ability in our trash removal process to separate the good from the bad.



I hope this helps in directing those who are interested in providing a contact and also providing some additional information.


Time to begin writing some emails. Let's get it started.
 
Sounds like more Trashy Americans! Typical Tourist Apathy. Yet how long does the County leave broken pop tents lying around. I can only pick up so much but those things seem to last up to week. Freakin dries me Bonkers. I wanna slap some folks upside the head! Especially the ones who think the beach is a giant ashtray. Would it be wrong to start making people eat their trash or am I just too mean?
 
Smiling JOe said:
There is no need to rake the beach here, but we could use the guys who clean up the crap, eg - chairs, tents, umbrellas, towels, coolers, toys, etc.

Honestly, people don't leave much on the beach in the area I go in Jersey. Maybe because of the proximity to major cities where thefts occur more often, people are more cautious.
I am more concerned with crap that floats into the waters that can affect marine life. The chairs and kayaks don't bother me so much if they are left behind by rental co. Those items cost them money and they know tide tables etc., so no one wants to lose those. The average tourist does not know these things though, and obviously are ignorant of conservation efforts, not to mention it's unsightly. Leaving your cr-p on the beach just demonstrates sheer laziness.
 
HTML:
The average tourist does not know these things though, and obviously are ignorant of conservation efforts, not to mention it's unsightly.

I think you are so on target. Most people love the beach as much as the locals, but are unaware of the effects of their lazy ways. They just want to enjoy as much as possible with little effort. WHere I stay it is a long hike down steps, 45 to be exact, which complicates hauling a chair. I am coming with a family who usually frequents another beach....they have always put up a tent. When asked if that can be done this year, I told them it wasn't allowed. Won't they be surprised when their are villages of tents everywhere.

The tourists desperately need to be educated, and this board does a good job. It needs to be more widespread. I like the idea of info about ways to protect the beach being left rentals. Maybe the visitors center could send out the info when they mail packets as well. No one wants to destroy the area.
 
Dear SmileyJ,

What have you scored so far? I need a couple of those short folding beach chairs to take to Grayton SP. I prefer blue. :biggrin: Thank you in advance for the free merchandise!

BC
 
Beach Crazy said:
Dear SmileyJ,

What have you scored so far? I need a couple of those short folding beach chairs to take to Grayton SP. I prefer blue. :biggrin: Thank you in advance for the free merchandise!

BC
I plead the 5th. (Where and when would you like to collect the blue chair with cup and cigarette holder? :floor:)
 
Smiling JOe said:
I plead the 5th. (Where and when would you like to collect the blue chair with cup and cigarette holder? :floor:)

I smell a new forum coming on! This is great! :clap_1:
 
peapod1980 said:
Yes, saw them on TV. And the mom ended the whole story by saying she wanted to let everyone know it's dangerous to dig big holes at the beach and not to do it. I'm hoping maybe their story and her word of caution impacted someone who's never thought about it.
SJ, you skeery.

It's lucky that the kid who dug the hole fell in during the day; it would have been a real tragedy had it happened to some unsuspecting victim walking the beach at dusk!

Sure hope the story made an impact on future sand-diggers!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top