Geo
Beach Fanatic
My family and I have been sampling the local restaurants every week since we moved here in February. Most of have been very good, some have been exceptional and it has been rare that we've had a bad experience.
Recently, I publicly shared one of those bad experiences when I felt my patronage was taken for granted by a restaurant owner/manager. So it is only fair that I publicly share praise when I have been treated well.
CRIOLLA'S
Criolla's was on a long list of places we've wanted to try. But I was so blown away by a recent post written by the owner of Criolla's (Johnny) that we made reservations the next night.
Locals and visitors alike:
I won't share every detail but let's just say if you want to be treated like a king (or a rock star)
, book a reservation at Criolla's and tell them when you get there that you are a SoWall'er...
The tapas were super. We had a shrimp small plate that was to die for as well as another stand out- a Brazilian quesadilla. My wife and sister in law started with the olives and goat cheese and were very happy...
For my entree I ordered the Delmonico Steak and Maine Lobster- YUM! It was dynamite! My steak was juicy, tender and a perfect medium rare just as I requested. The lobster was succulent. And although I cannot remember right now the specifics, I do recall that I really enjoyed the veggie and/or starch that came with it...
I was worried that the portion wouldn't be enough because I read a posting that compared Criolla's to an upscale restaurant in Atlanta that had small portions. This was definitely not the case with Criolla's and I am a big eater...
Just after we finished our entrees Johnny stopped by and pulled up a chair. What a great guy. It is no wonder he has been in business for nearly 25 years. And the best part- He didn't have an aura about him like this was an obligatory greeting but rather he seemed like he genuinely wanted to meet us and that he appreciated the fact that we were there...
So there you have it.
I strongly recommend Criolla's. I know it is now in my regular rotation (between trying more of these fabulous local establishments)...
Cheers to you, Johnny! Pls forward my comments to your staff. From Frank at the door (I think that was his name) to our server (can't remember his- I blame the mojitos), to the bartender and everyone else who treated us so well. You guys know what you're doing!
GW
P.S. Forgot this so I just edited my original post to include it here-
We have two well behaved kids so we don't feel bad taking them out to dinner. Often times, we'll get funny looks or the eye roll from restaurant staff when they see us walk in with our kids. Johnny and his staff were just as accomodating to our kids as they were to us. Thanks for that!
Recently, I publicly shared one of those bad experiences when I felt my patronage was taken for granted by a restaurant owner/manager. So it is only fair that I publicly share praise when I have been treated well.
CRIOLLA'S
Criolla's was on a long list of places we've wanted to try. But I was so blown away by a recent post written by the owner of Criolla's (Johnny) that we made reservations the next night.
Locals and visitors alike:
I won't share every detail but let's just say if you want to be treated like a king (or a rock star)
, book a reservation at Criolla's and tell them when you get there that you are a SoWall'er...The tapas were super. We had a shrimp small plate that was to die for as well as another stand out- a Brazilian quesadilla. My wife and sister in law started with the olives and goat cheese and were very happy...
For my entree I ordered the Delmonico Steak and Maine Lobster- YUM! It was dynamite! My steak was juicy, tender and a perfect medium rare just as I requested. The lobster was succulent. And although I cannot remember right now the specifics, I do recall that I really enjoyed the veggie and/or starch that came with it...
I was worried that the portion wouldn't be enough because I read a posting that compared Criolla's to an upscale restaurant in Atlanta that had small portions. This was definitely not the case with Criolla's and I am a big eater...
Just after we finished our entrees Johnny stopped by and pulled up a chair. What a great guy. It is no wonder he has been in business for nearly 25 years. And the best part- He didn't have an aura about him like this was an obligatory greeting but rather he seemed like he genuinely wanted to meet us and that he appreciated the fact that we were there...
So there you have it.
I strongly recommend Criolla's. I know it is now in my regular rotation (between trying more of these fabulous local establishments)...
Cheers to you, Johnny! Pls forward my comments to your staff. From Frank at the door (I think that was his name) to our server (can't remember his- I blame the mojitos), to the bartender and everyone else who treated us so well. You guys know what you're doing!
GW
P.S. Forgot this so I just edited my original post to include it here-
We have two well behaved kids so we don't feel bad taking them out to dinner. Often times, we'll get funny looks or the eye roll from restaurant staff when they see us walk in with our kids. Johnny and his staff were just as accomodating to our kids as they were to us. Thanks for that!
Last edited:
