• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Critter Question

New posts

Cil

Beach Fanatic
Okay, so far I have seen:

large hawks

a baby snake on the back screen doorknob

a scorpion in my laundry room

Egrets, cormorants, gorgeous herons, gulls and other smaller sea birds

many pelicans

Bald Eagles (3 times)

several box turtles crossing the road (moved them to safety)

countless adorable tiny green frogs, on the back door, on our windows, two got in my car somehow!

blue crabs living in our pond

BUT early this morning was especially cool: I am pretty sure I heard what I assume to be coyotes.
Very, very close by. It sounded a lot like wolves at first, just one howling, but then others joined it, and it turned yippy like coyotes. I know wolves are on St Vincent's Island but I assume they did not swim over here.

Anyone have feedback or info about this?
 
OMG Cil!!!! You live out in the WILD!!! That is so awesome! Please take some pics for us!

BTW...I had a little green lizard...chameleon (?) on my kitchen counter yesterday and successfully got it back outside....I felt so good!!!
 
How far is St. Vincent's Island? Don't let your dog out! Aren't there a lot of woods around there? On the boat near sunset, I thought I saw a big tree branch floating real fast and after getting closer it was a big buck swimming across the lake. If there are woods it probably is!
 
seacrestkristi said:
How far is St. Vincent's Island? Don't let your dog out! Aren't there a lot of woods around there? On the boat near sunset, I thought I saw a big tree branch floating real fast and after getting closer it was a big buck swimming across the lake. If there are woods it probably is!

Wow...this is like 'National Geographic'!!!!
 
The summer and fall of 2004, we kept hearing coyotes. Our neighbor saw them. We live in a somewhat rural area- but lots of new development so we are seeing lots of displaced wildlife. Anyway, when the boys were cleaning out the sailboat that had been stored upside down in our back field, they found the "evidence" that a coyote (or coyotes) had been living inside of it! Fortunately they had moved on- someone told me they "hunt out" and an area then move on.
 
Cil - yes we have coyotes. They have migrated from the west across many parts of the South. Turns out they are very successful scavengers and compete with coons and possums (you'll see many of these or at least evidence of them since they are nocturnal). Coyotes also eat small animals.

You will also encounter gators in your area and many snakes (mostly friendly). I saw a very big Black Bear near Indian Pass crossing Hwy 98 a couple of years ago.
 
Just wait 'til you see a heron flying with a snake hanging from it's mouth! That was pretty creepy the first time I saw that! And just wait 'til you go to pick oranges from your orange tree and find snakes in the tree!
I'm terrified of snakes and it always seemed as if I was discovering snakes everywhere when we lived in FL. (Even swimming in our pool a couple of times!)
 
Smiling JOe said:
Cil, consider yourself blessed.


But keep your eyes on your pets! Coyotes WILL eat small animals. Cats are especially tasty morsels. My sister lives in western Massachusetts and two of hers were snapped up (no pun intended :oops: ).

I'm envious of all the birds you see. They're such beautiful creatures.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top