• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Critters - what is it?

New posts

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
PICT1656.JPG
OT..but SJ, do you know what kind of butterfly that isin your avatar ....it's the same kind I photographed while I was there.

As Rita stated, this is a Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae).
 
Smiling JOe said:
P9090022.JPG


I am not positive, but I think this is a female Regal Darner (Coryphaeschna ingens) :lol:.

She is beautiful!!! We've been seeing these flying around here.
 
Smiling JOe said:
PICT1656.JPG
OT..but SJ, do you know what kind of butterfly that isin your avatar ....it's the same kind I photographed while I was there.

As Rita stated, this is a Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae).


Thank you Rita and SJ. Now I know. I looked it up once but was unsuccessful. I'm assuming these are only found near the gulf...hence the name???
 
Ocean Lover said:
Thank you Rita and SJ. Now I know. I looked it up once but was unsuccessful. I'm assuming these are only found near the gulf...hence the name???

I think I have seen them in south GA and south AL, far inland.
 
Last edited:
Sueshore said:
She is beautiful!!! We've been seeing these flying around here.

There are many Carolina Saddlebags (Tramea carolina) Dragonflies that hover in the sand oaks around Seaside. They look like a dragonfly which is carrying something under his wings. I don't have a photo to share. :( October is soon approaching and the Dragonflies will be gone, except for the biting ones that hang out on the beach. :lol:;-)

6594_saddlebags_carolina_ds_std.jpg

Photo courtesy of Randy Emmitt. This is the Carolina Saddlebags
 
Last edited:
I try to learn as I go. If I don't know something, I often seek to find out more.
A great pocket sized book, National Audubon Society - Field Guide to Florida, is a wonderful source for native plants and animals. It has many color photos and decriptions to help identify things. I know Sundog Bookstore in Seaside Carries the book. It is usually on one of those table displays near the checkout.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top