• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Customary Beach Use

New posts
Speaking of Mirarmar, I understand that the the County has to pay for two very much needed lifeguards to be stationed at the "private" beach in front of the Majestic. Why isn't the Majestic paying for those lifeguards? The TDC maintains that beach and the SWFD Lifeguards are stationed there, yet the public cannot use "their" beach. :idontno:

Well, this certainly makes no sense. SJ, how was it decided where the lifeguards would be stationed?
 
I'm not sure how the locations of the County Lifeguard Stations are determined. Miramar has many rescue incidents so maybe they look at the frequency of rip currents, number of beach goers, etc. I bet the SWFD could tell you.
 
Speaking of Mirarmar, I understand that the the County has to pay for two very much needed lifeguards to be stationed at the "private" beach in front of the Majestic. Why isn't the Majestic paying for those lifeguards? The TDC maintains that beach and the SWFD Lifeguards are stationed there, yet the public cannot use "their" beach. :idontno:

SJ,

That's inaccurate so you may want to follow-up on who told you that. SWFD lifeguards that the TDC pays for are only located at County/TDC regional accesses that have restrooms. The closest one to Majestic Sun is the Miramar Access, west of Pompano Joe's restaurant. Does the SWFD have other side agreements with private groups?

Second Majestic Sun is open to the public on two fronts. One is due to the beach restoration project and ECL line. Secondly, as part of the original DRI process, the developers of Seascape granted a "public use easement" but I am not sure of exactly which type so it falls into the privately-owned but open to the public category. Surfside which is located east of Majestic Sun does not fall into the second category but does have the ECL line.
 
SJ,

That's inaccurate so you may want to follow-up on who told you that. SWFD lifeguards that the TDC pays for are only located at County/TDC regional accesses that have restrooms. The closest one to Majestic Sun is the Miramar Access, west of Pompano Joe's restaurant. Does the SWFD have other side agreements with private groups?

Second Majestic Sun is open to the public on two fronts. One is due to the beach restoration project and ECL line. Secondly, as part of the original DRI process, the developers of Seascape granted a "public use easement" but I am not sure of exactly which type so it falls into the privately-owned but open to the public category. Surfside which is located east of Majestic Sun does not fall into the second category but does have the ECL line.

As to lessen confusion until I can further clarify, I deleted my post. I'll try to follow up and report back.

I have not heard of side agreements with private groups and the County, but it goes back to the issue of public funds being used to maintain property claiming to be privately owned. (refering specifically to the TDC trashcans and maintenance)
 
Second Majestic Sun is open to the public on two fronts. One is due to the beach restoration project and ECL line. Secondly, as part of the original DRI process, the developers of Seascape granted a "public use easement" but I am not sure of exactly which type so it falls into the privately-owned but open to the public category. Surfside which is located east of Majestic Sun does not fall into the second category but does have the ECL line.
They have 2 Lifegaurds, Private beach signs, free beach renurishment and security gaurds. They also have all there crap consuming the area so no one can get thru. I investigated first hand. The info on the lifegaurds came strait from the SWFD, 2 of them. They also have the areas worst ripetides. Pm me and I'll send ya photos
 
A few years ago, I saw a fairly extensive report prepared by the TDC for the County on access points and right of way locations along the entire beach. You might request to see this if anyone can locate. Very informative, pictures, locations, etc. It is also amazing to see the number of public beach access points and right of ways that were blocked with anything from a fence, pool or even a building. Perhaps the right of ways might transfer to public access points or clarify right of public use. That might get you up to that bigger number. This could really open up a bag of worms, so some may be in no hurry to find or clarify. For example, could a condo be asked to remove a fence it has built between its building and the next that blocks a public beach access or right of way?
 
They have 2 Lifegaurds, Private beach signs, free beach renurishment and security gaurds. They also have all there crap consuming the area so no one can get thru. I investigated first hand. The info on the lifegaurds came strait from the SWFD, 2 of them. They also have the areas worst ripetides. Pm me and I'll send ya photos

Like I said, the beach isn't private at Seascape but that doesn't mean its not signed that way. As for the lifeguards, I can tell you they aren't being paid for as part of the TDC/County's program as that is only at County-owned regional accesses with restrooms. The closest one the TDC/County is paying for is over at the Miramar Access beside PJoe's. So is the SWFD moonlighting for a private company at Majestic Sun?
 
They definitely HAVE the info - I've seen it and flipped through it, so it isn't a Sowal Legend - it's in a couple white 3 ring binders complete w/ photos, addresses, and descriptions of each access.

Whether they will do anything with it/publicize it is a different story.
 
By the way, Morrison Springs was acquired by a previous commission, not Brannon. In fact, there has been criticism on how it is now being overly developed per letter to editor in DeFuniak Herald some weeks ago.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top