• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Dark water

New posts

Kirkus

Beach Comber
After being here over the past couple of decades, I thought I’d seen everything this surf has to offer, but this coffee black water is a new one. I assume it’s outflow from the lakes after all the rain/storms? Does it last only a day or two, or weeks? Very different from the red algae, the seaweed etc.
 
This brown water will last forever. I suggest everybody move away. I'll stay here and monitor the situation.
 
After being here over the past couple of decades, I thought I’d seen everything this surf has to offer, but this coffee black water is a new one. I assume it’s outflow from the lakes after all the rain/storms? Does it last only a day or two, or weeks? Very different from the red algae, the seaweed etc.
This is normal after windy stormy seas happening over multiple days. I don't even think this is caused completely by tannins, maybe 30%. I've been here for 2 years and the sea is grey or dark for most of the entire winter season, usually starting around Dec and ending around March. I always thought it was caused by high winds causing high waves and constant churned water couple with storms that happen almost all winter long.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top