• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Debate Analysis and Opinions

New posts

Geo

Beach Fanatic
I combed today's threads but didn't see (serious) discussions on last night's debate so I'll attempt to drum up the exchange of ideas with this thread...

I missed the first 10 minutes...

From my view I thought Palin far exceeded expectations. She was articulate, seemed to have more than a fundamental grasp of the issues, was on message and looked nothing to me like the Palin from the recent Couric interviews...

Many times, much to my dismay, she intentionally did not answer the questions posed and I found it interesting that she acknowledged this under the guise of being an outsider...

Rather than refute Biden's attempts to link her ticket to Bush's failed policies she accused Obama/Biden of failing to look toward the future. She tried to be cute with a throwback to Reagan ("there you go again, Joe")...

I was especially impressed when during her closing remarks she attempted to clean up her recent shortcomings in interviews by saying she prefers to not have the filter of the mainstream media between her and the American people...

I thought Biden did as well as expected but no better. He attacked McCain rather than Palin and I thought he delivered some decent blows on challenging his Maverick status. He earned points with me for his "Ultimate Bridge to No Where" finish at the conclusion of his point on McCain's $5000 health care credit...

I wish he had stronger closing remarks and attacked Palin just a little...

In conclusion, judging the debate for face value- I believe Biden won. But this debate, IMHO, will not judged for face value but rather within the context of people's expectations going in. Biden was expected to win handily, Palin was expected to look bad. Neither of those things happened. Since Palin earned herself a draw-

I think she won...

Your turn.

G
 
Last edited:
If you were judging a college debate team performance, you would give the nod to Biden. His performance better fit the descritpion of a debate. In the court of public opinion, Palin proved that she is not the bimbo she appeared to be with Couric. They say the first job of a VP candidate is to cause no harm. Both candidates accomplished that last night.

Leftists will continue to swear that Palin has no business being a heart beat away from the Presidency.

Righties will say that Obama has no business being the Presidential heart beat.

It seems to me that the debate last night resolved that this is really a contest between Obama and McCain.
 
i combed today's threads but didn't see (serious) discussions on last night's debate so i'll attempt to drum up the exchange of ideas with this thread...

i missed the first 10 minutes...

you did not miss a thing!

from my view i thought palin far exceeded expectations. she was articulate, seemed to have more than a fundamental grasp of the issues, was on message and looked nothing to me like the palin from the recent couric interviews...

exceeding expectations now puts her at d + or c-

many times, much to my dismay, she intentionally did not answer the questions posed and i found it interesting that she acknowledged this under the guise of being an outsider...

avoiding questions is not debating, anything.

rather than refute biden's attempts to link her ticket to bush's failed policies she accused obama/biden of failing to look toward the future. She tried to be cute with a throwback to reagan ("there you go again, joe")...

I was especially impressed when during her closing remarks she attempted to clean up her recent shortcomings in interviews by saying she prefers to not have the filter of the mainstream media between her and the american people...

translation: sounds like a repeat of bush/cheney....dga.

i thought biden did as well as expected but no better. He attacked mccain rather than palin and i thought he delivered some decent blows on challenging his maverick status. He earned points with me for his "ultimate bridge to no where" finish at the conclusion of his point on mccain's $5000 health care credit...

I wish he had stronger closing remarks and attacked palin just a little...

he was suppose to attack mccain, attacking her would make the dumb conservative soccer moms (as opposed to the smart ones) more excited about her!!! It was said if he was condescending it would end up hurting him--interestingly, she is the one that ended up being condescending.

in conclusion, judging the debate for face value- i believe biden won. But this debate, imho, will not judged for face value but rather within the context of people's expectations going in. Biden was expected to win handily, palin was expected to look bad. Neither of those things happened. Since palin earned herself a draw-

i think she won...

i think like the former newscaster and beauty pageant finalist that she is, that she memorized quite a bit of info.and managed to spew it out with and without revelence to the question(s) being asked.

your turn.

G

she lost!
 
Last edited:
I combed today's threads but didn't see (serious) discussions on last night's debate so I'll attempt to drum up the exchange of ideas with this thread...

I missed the first 10 minutes...

From my view I thought Palin far exceeded expectations. She was articulate, seemed to have more than a fundamental grasp of the issues, was on message and looked nothing to me like the Palin from the recent Couric interviews...

Many times, much to my dismay, she intentionally did not answer the questions posed and I found it interesting that she acknowledged this under the guise of being an outsider...

Rather than refute Biden's attempts to link her ticket to Bush's failed policies she accused Obama/Biden of failing to look toward the future. She tried to be cute with a throwback to Reagan ("there you go again, Joe")...

I was especially impressed when during her closing remarks she attempted to clean up her recent shortcomings in interviews by saying she prefers to not have the filter of the mainstream media between her and the American people...

I thought Biden did as well as expected but no better. He attacked McCain rather than Palin and I thought he delivered some decent blows on challenging his Maverick status. He earned points with me for his "Ultimate Bridge to No Where" finish at the conclusion of his point on McCain's $5000 health care credit...

I wish he had stronger closing remarks and attacked Palin just a little...

In conclusion, judging the debate for face value- I believe Biden won. But this debate, IMHO, will not judged for face value but rather within the context of people's expectations going in. Biden was expected to win handily, Palin was expected to look bad. Neither of those things happened. Since Palin earned herself a draw-

I think she won...

Your turn.

G

The debate really highlighted the planning that went into both candidates approach to the debate. Biden never once attacked Palin - that was completely off limits for him, instead he attacked McCain and Bush constantly. Palin obviously was all about highlighting their records, and specifically ignored Biden attacks except to (I think) mock the "looking back" and negetivity of Biden.

Overall Biden had more detailed and thoughtful responses, but nobody expected otherwise. I'm not sure how this will play out next week in the polls. Could go either way. It depends on whether or not Palin impressed enough and how the Biden attacks played. I think in general Biden won on substance, but I'm not sure that was what was important in this debate. Palin definitely showed she's not an idiot, which was a strong win on her part.
 
I combed today's threads but didn't see (serious) discussions on last night's debate so I'll attempt to drum up the exchange of ideas with this thread...

In conclusion, judging the debate for face value- I believe Biden won. But this debate, IMHO, will not judged for face value but rather within the context of people's expectations going in. Biden was expected to win handily, Palin was expected to look bad. Neither of those things happened. Since Palin earned herself a draw-

I think she won...

Your turn.

G


If you were judging a college debate team performance, you would give the nod to Biden. His performance better fit the descritpion of a debate. In the court of public opinion, Palin proved that she is not the bimbo she appeared to be with Couric. They say the first job of a VP candidate is to cause no harm. Both candidates accomplished that last night.

Leftists will continue to swear that Palin has no business being a heart beat away from the Presidency.

Righties will say that Obama has no business being the Presidential heart beat.

It seems to me that the debate last night resolved that this is really a contest between Obama and McCain.


I agree with both of these views. Palin entered the debate as a potential serious liability. This is now off the table and we're now back to the main issue, the two Presidential candidates and the economy.

With the House voting on the Bailout package today and most likely passing it, the 24 hour news focus on this will stop. The economy, although still weak and still an issue, should become less of a focus of the news media (less stories on impending armageddon, etc.) and we should get back to a more normal news cycle. Since the weak economy issue helps Obama, less of a focus on this issue by the media should help McCain.

So, now we're back to the next Presidential debate. McCain will need to "up his game" and improve. If he does, the race will tighten up considerably.
 
Next one is a town hall, with the final on domestic policy. Should be interesting -

October 7, 2008: Presidential debate in a town hall format, Belmont University, Nashville, TN

October 15, 2008: Presidential debate with domestic policy focus, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
 
Nothing changed last night other than Palin rehabing her image a bit. No changed minds, no changed votes, no desire to see a rematch.
 
Nothing changed last night other than Palin rehabing her image a bit. No changed minds, no changed votes, no desire to see a rematch.

Don't you believe that is generally true of all of the debates?

I can't imagine anyone changing or making up their minds based upon the weak questions and weaker answers put forth by everyone.
 
I felt Palin's words were completely scripted, and as the questions came out, she pulled out one of her memorized scripts for the topic (taxes, Iraq, etc). She obviously worked very hard in Sedona this week, but even though her handlers inserted her folksy phrases and facial expressions, her words were completely rehearsed.

I think she completely appealed to those who wanted to be appealed to, and didn't completely horrify those of us who were expecting the worst.
 
Don't you believe that is generally true of all of the debates?

I can't imagine anyone changing or making up their minds based upon the weak questions and weaker answers put forth by everyone.

Oh I don't know. You might be right, I guess few votes are changed but the undecieded can be brought into a tent based on a debate. Probably not so much veeps as the main candidates...

at any rate, I for one am glad that I will not feel obligated to watch a Palin-Biden debate again:lol:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top