• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Debate Analysis and Opinions

New posts
This is exactly how I feel about Obama. When he came on the scene I was....wow...who is this guy? But now, I think he is scary... I mean do we REALLY know who he is???

I know you love your candidate but honestly do you believe this? I don't believe that any politician represents the interests of all Americans... wouldn't you agree???:idontno:


Tootsie, I can always tell that you think about what you post and I really appreciate it. I do. Reading the above post is interesting b/c it is just how me and some of my friends talk but it is about Obama instead of Palin. I feel that she at least has come out and shown us her cards while I fear that Obama has many an Ace hid up his sleeve. It is the unknown that scares me most.


it is very simple IBD. Obama has shown us who he is for quite some time now. given his primary campaigning, books and speeches, and many articles and interviews done over the last 2 years, there are countless ways for you to know his positions, and to see his leadership style. he's presented himself in a very professional, respectful, and comprehensive way.

Palin is a total new person suddenly on the pres ticket.. brings a ton of baggage with her personality and controversial stances on issues. she also is painfully limited in her ability to even speak to the issues. big big big difference. why people even talk about palin and obama in the same breath is unbelievable. isn't mccain the presidential candidate for the gop?
 
Last edited:
Is not hesitant to take control: Obama's present vote on:

PRESENT" To restrict the location of buildings with "adult" uses (meaning pornographic video stores, strip clubs, etc.) within 1,000 feet of any public or private elementary or secondary school, public park, place or worship, preschool, day-care facility, mobile park or residential area. SB 609 (20


Parents, does this not bother you?

I'll try one more time: Is this a non-issue to Obama supporters? :idontno:
 
I'll try one more time: Is this a non-issue to Obama supporters? :idontno:

I am interested in big-picture issues. This is not a big-picture issue. It might be helpful to know more about the context of this "present" vote. I am aware that Illinois has some peculiar political approaches to votes and Obama certainly got caught up in that. I also feel certain that as political as he is, Obama is a parent first, politician second, so I'm not at all worried about children's or school issues when it comes to his candidacy.
 
I am interested in big-picture issues. This is not a big-picture issue. It might be helpful to know more about the context of this "present" vote. I am aware that Illinois has some peculiar political approaches to votes and Obama certainly got caught up in that. I also feel certain that as political as he is, Obama is a parent first, politician second, so I'm not at all worried about children's or school issues when it comes to his candidacy.

Thank you for replying.
That is why I asked if this is a non-issue. I would like to know if this bill was presented as it is written. To me, voting present on this bill, shows the character of a person. If he voted present to not oppose a business, regardless of the nature, it is an issue for me. The fact is, he voted present.
This is not hearsay.

This is a family issue and it is a woman's issue. It is not a small issue in my eyes.
 
Last edited:
I am interested in big-picture issues. This is not a big-picture issue. It might be helpful to know more about the context of this "present" vote. I am aware that Illinois has some peculiar political approaches to votes and Obama certainly got caught up in that. I also feel certain that as political as he is, Obama is a parent first, politician second, so I'm not at all worried about children's or school issues when it comes to his candidacy.

TFT, I was going to ignore this obvious e-mail smear for the same reason- it is not a "big-picture" issue. But it is just like the terrorist silliness being passed around the "internets"- a distraction from the real issues of the campaign. Sigh. What else is new. I should have kept blissfully cleaning house instead of taking a little sit down break.

If anyone would care to know the context, here it is. He voted "present" because zoning issues ARE best left to local governments, not state or federal government.

As a mother and a woman, I really do not see why I should be bothered by Obama's vote, since it is nothing but McCain's supporters grasping at just about anything to distract their supporters.



http://www.barackobama.com/factcheck/2007/12/


SB 609 -- OBAMA SPOKE ON THE FLOOR THAT THE SENATE SHOULD NOT OVERRIDE HOME RULE
Obama Voted Present On Adult Business Location Restrictions Because Of Home Rule; The Bill Failed. Obama voted present on a bill creating the Adult Uses Location Restriction Act, providing restrictions on the proximity of adult entertainment establishments to schools, parks, places of worship, pre-schools, day care facilities, mobile home parks, and/or other residential areas, (Senate Amendment No. 1) constituting minimum restriction on the location of adult uses for all governmental units, including home rule units and allows governmental units to enact more stringent restrictions. When discussing the bill, Obama said, "[M]ost of us would prefer not to have an adult bookstore or -- movie theater or something next to our -- next to our residence, but that's exactly why we have local zoning ordinances...And it seems to me that if there's ever been a function that has historically been relegated to local control and is appropriately there, it's these kinds of zoning matters." [92nd GA, SB 0609, 3/29/01, 3R L; 33-15-5 (BO: P); 92nd General Assembly, Session Transcript, 3/29/01, p.160]
 
TFT, I was going to ignore this obvious e-mail smear for the same reason- it is not a "big-picture" issue. But it is just like the terrorist silliness being passed around the "internets"- a distraction from the real issues of the campaign. Sigh. What else is new. I should have kept blissfully cleaning house instead of taking a little sit down break.

If anyone would care to know the context, here it is. He voted "present" because zoning issues ARE best left to local governments, not state or federal government.

As a mother and a woman, I really do not see why I should be bothered by Obama's vote, since it is nothing but McCain's supporters grasping at just about anything to distract their supporters.



http://www.barackobama.com/factcheck/2007/12/


SB 609 -- OBAMA SPOKE ON THE FLOOR THAT THE SENATE SHOULD NOT OVERRIDE HOME RULE Obama Voted Present On Adult Business Location Restrictions Because Of Home Rule; The Bill Failed. Obama voted present on a bill creating the Adult Uses Location Restriction Act, providing restrictions on the proximity of adult entertainment establishments to schools, parks, places of worship, pre-schools, day care facilities, mobile home parks, and/or other residential areas, (Senate Amendment No. 1) constituting minimum restriction on the location of adult uses for all governmental units, including home rule units and allows governmental units to enact more stringent restrictions. When discussing the bill, Obama said, "[M]ost of us would prefer not to have an adult bookstore or -- movie theater or something next to our -- next to our residence, but that's exactly why we have local zoning ordinances...And it seems to me that if there's ever been a function that has historically been relegated to local control and is appropriately there, it's these kinds of zoning matters." [92nd GA, SB 0609, 3/29/01, 3R L; 33-15-5 (BO: P); 92nd General Assembly, Session Transcript, 3/29/01, p.160]


Thanks for posting this. Then why did he vote present? If that was his motive, then he shouldn't have taken a non-stance.

It is an issue for me. For zoning issues that involve breakdown of families, women's rights and lack of protection for minors then if local zoning cannot protect them, then it should be a state matter.
Just my opinion, you don't have to agree.
 
So you won't share your thoughts on your candidates' stance on issues but you are posting about Hannity's "Obama and Friends Radicalism" lame smearfest special???

:idontno:
A totally unfair post, Geo. IBD gave a reason for not posting. From your post, obviously a good one.
 
Who are these "regular people":idontno:

I am beginning to wonder if the whole Palin thing is not an act put together to win over the base...whatever that means...

It is hard for me to believe that two school teachers raised a woman who can't construct a sentence that can be diagramed! Diagramming Sarah
Can Palin's sentences stand up to a grammarian?
By Kitty Burns Florey www.slate.com/id/2201158

no VP left behind.
 
A totally unfair post, Geo. IBD gave a reason for not posting. From your post, obviously a good one.

Hi Andy...

Unfair? How so? Here is what I saw-

We're in a thread discussing the debate. Folks are Palin bashing. I reach out with an olive branch alluding to the fact that we should put negativity and emotion aside, focus on the issues and try to better understand what shapes folks beliefs even if we don't agree with them. Meanwhile, IBD expresses support for Palin and someone else asks if IBD would tell us which issues (s)he is in agreement with Palin on. IBD declines to help us to understand her/his position on the issues calling the thread a "pit of vipers"...

Right about that time I see a new thread posted by IBD asking if any Obama supporters have seen Hannity's "Obama's Radicalism" (or whatever it is called) segment because (s)he might have some questions for us Obama supporters about his past...

How is it unfair of me to call BS on a McCain/Palin supporter who is unwilling to discuss their stance on the issues (for fear of getting attacked) but will still advance the negative attacks against Obama?

If IBD was undecided then I would be able to better understand the motivation behind having questions for Obama supporters regarding his past/the conclusions of Hannity's segment. But IBD has an avatar with Obama's likeness and the word NOPE under it so I presume that the questions are only intended to air dirty laundry rather than to clarify anything...

Simply put-
I see someone trying to make Obama look bad but refusing to try to make us understand how McCain looks good...

Set me straight, Andy...

I don't see how anything I said validated IBD's decison to not post on the issues as you have implied...
I feel it is unfair of you to call me unfair...

:idontno:

:)
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top