• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Dennis - should I cancel trip on 7/16?

New posts

tanya

Beach Crab
Carillon Beach.........but can someone please tell me if we should cancel our plans for coming down on 7/16?...........8 hour drive

or do you think its ok execpt for some beach debris......

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.
 
Re: i know this is not.....

Do you suppose it's possible that viewers don't have a clue about Carillon, because they are still hunkered down? You have six days left to plan. Give the locals a break!
 
Re: i know this is not.....

My sister is in the same situation. She planned to come down from July 15-August 15. I'm gonna report back to her as soon as we can get there, hopefully by Tuesday.
 
Re: i know this is not.....

tanya said:
Carillon Beach.........but can someone please tell me if we should cancel our plans for coming down on 7/16?...........8 hour drive

or do you think its ok execpt for some beach debris......

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Come on down, Surf's up.
 
Re: i know this is not.....

From what the news stations have shown...100,000 without power but it sounds like they are concentrated in counties west of 30-A.

I went down after Ivan last year--you'll want to check on power, services (restaurants open again? gas plentiful in the stations again?) and walkovers :).

Expect beach debris. And hurricane debris piled neatly along the road every so many feet waiting for trash pick up.

Also blue skies and that great 30-A feeling. :) .
 
Re: should I cancel trip on 7/16?

tanya said:
Carillon Beach.........but can someone please tell me if we should cancel our plans for coming down on 7/16?...........8 hour drive

or do you think its ok execpt for some beach debris......

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Patience, Grasshopper, patience...

Give it a day or so. I myself am nervously awaiting to see how access routes fared, since coming down/over/back requires access. Darn thing looked like it went straight over the Escambia Bay Bridge.
 
Re: should I cancel trip on 7/16?

I'm planning to come to the area on the 16th as well and think it will be fine. As long as there's electricity, a pool, and a beach all should be fine. It's interesting to see the beach after a hurricane -- I came down a few days after Ivan last year and the shells were plentiful (We usually don't have many shells in our area) -- it was really fun and I found some real beauties that are now in our living room at home. But you also need to be careful on the beach a bit because there may still be a lot of debris. But I'll be there with children and will tell them to be careful but have fun exploring. The big question to ask Carillon beach property owner/rental company is whether there is beach access since the walk-overs may be damaged from the storm. Ask them how you would get to the beach. Then don't worry about it and come down and have a good time. Take photos of the beach to show your friends and then compare them with photos you take of the beach a year or two from now to show people how the beach naturally changes over time.
 
Re: should I cancel trip on 7/16?

Paula said:
I'm planning to come to the area on the 16th as well and think it will be fine.
Email me on Tuesday and if I have T-Mobile service, I'll answer.
 
Re: should I cancel trip on 7/16?

Paula, Good post. The cup is definitely half full (or more)! I am coming down in the morning to check on our house in Seaside. If it all looks fine, then my family will come down later in the day.

I am eager to get down there and spend some time and count our blessings that we survived so well! :lol:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top