• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Dine at Shorty's

New posts

Barbara

Beach Comber
Had dinner at Shorty's Teusday night. The food is nothing short of perfection. Service was wonderful and the whole experience was devine. Thanks Henry for a great meal. :clap:
 
Very well said. I meant to post after our experience, but forgot.

We went on a Saturday night about 3-4 weeks ago. We were fully prepared to wait and were surprised to walk into an almost empty restaurant at about 6 pm. Obviously a deserted restaurant that is almost empty on a season weekend would normally be a big warning sign they are new and need to be given a chance. We were greeted warmly and offered to sit anywhere. Well since the gulf view window seat was available we bee lined. We looked around at the basic decor and bright walls which is nice when overlooking the gulf. The waiter came over and took our drink orders, they have a full bar, but we opted for soft drinks IIRC. The drinks came right out and since we were still deciding on dinner we each ordered the Lime soup. Don't be deterred, this soup is fantastic, it is very light and refreshing on a hot day.

While eating our soup and waiting for salads we noticed, and giggled a little, at the huge mass of people waiting in front of the Red Bar with their buzzers.

The salad came and we had the citrus vinagrette (sorry I'm going on memory here), which came as a side option for the meal, but comes out first. So far I'm thrilled at the level of service. The salad was fresh made and didn't come out of a food service bag. It also came with a banana nut bread muffin on the side, wonderful!

We finished our salads just as our entrees came out. I had ordered the pesto pasta with grilled chicken and vegetables. Huge portion of pasta with tons of very good home made pesto on it. This coupled with a wonderfully cooked and seasoned chicken breast went great with the vegetables. This wasn't a standard vegetable medley either, it had portabello mushrooms.

DS had the red beans and rice which comes in a take the leftovers home size. It was very good and surprisingly had a good heat to it. It seems many restaurants serve a bland spice it yourself product. This was very good.

Unfortunately we didn't have enough room for dessert, but will definitely try it next time. The best part, all this was under $40 for two! We were very impressed and will definitely be back. I highly recommend you head over now before the tourists discover this place and make you wait.
 
I, too, have wondered why Shorty's has been almost empty the two or three times we have been there. As SWGB said, the food is wonderful, the service subperb and the ambiance great. It is indeed puzzling to look down the street at the Red Bar and see all those people waiting, for admittedly good food, when they could have just as tasty at good prices across the street. I certainly hope Shorty's makes it. It is a great place!
 
I agree...I actually like the atmosphere at Shorty's and the view better than I do at The Red Bar...we went twice when we were in town last weekend and it was excellent both times....though I was having the hardest time explaining to my 8 year olds why they could no longer get the Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Over The Cheese Grits Dish that they loved getting there when it was D+K'S...Concept of it being a different place was not registering with the young hungry minds!!..LOL
 
I agree...I actually like the atmosphere at Shorty's and the view better than I do at The Red Bar...we went twice when we were in town last weekend and it was excellent both times....though I was having the hardest time explaining to my 8 year olds why they could no longer get the Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Over The Cheese Grits Dish that they loved getting there when it was D+K'S...Concept of it being a different place was not registering with the young hungry minds!!..LOL


The view is awesome. Also, we went one Saturday night with a table of 7 adults, ordered drinks, appetizers and meals, and the service was as good as it is on a Tuesday with just the two of us.

Maybe after Shorty's is in Southern Living, you won't be able to get in there, either.
 
Another plus. Shorty's take credit cards.
 
I agree...I actually like the atmosphere at Shorty's and the view better than I do at The Red Bar...we went twice when we were in town last weekend and it was excellent both times....though I was having the hardest time explaining to my 8 year olds why they could no longer get the Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Over The Cheese Grits Dish that they loved getting there when it was D+K'S...Concept of it being a different place was not registering with the young hungry minds!!..LOL

Which "view" of the parking lot at Red Bar did you find more enticing? :floor:
 
I and some of my family have eaten at Shorty's several times and we will be back. The service and the food was very good and the service excellent. I would and do recommend to all my customers who come in looking for a good local restaurant.
 
Had dinner at Shorty's Teusday night. The food is nothing short of perfection. Service was wonderful and the whole experience was devine. Thanks Henry for a great meal. :clap:
we finally made it to Shorty's tonight. it was excellent! and it was so great to see chris and natalia from d&k days. the service was great, the food wonderful - shrimp and grits, softshell crab and grits, okra and tomatoes, asparagus . . . .key lime pie. awesome!! :clap:
 
I ate lunch solo at Shorty's a few weeks back and was thoroughly impressed. Great food, remarkably good service and how do you keep the windows so clean??!!!

Highly recommend!

2 cents, G
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top