• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Dining Alone

New posts

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
A friend just clued me into this site when I mentioned what a shame it was that there was no Zagat's for 30-A. It's been wonderful to find so much good advise. There is one feature of the Zagat's that is missing...the Dining Alone list. Always a godsend for business trips, I have used it everywhere and never minded eating out by myself. I am here for a few months and have made a few attempts to go out and it has been so uncomfortable. When I asked for a table for one, one hostess repeated loudly, "You're by yourself? No one else is coming?"

Any suggestions? Maybe a place where it's possible to eat at the bar?
 
I recommend eating at the bar at Criolla's. The bartender is first class (as is the food). Same goes for Borago's.

The sushi bar at 331 also seems to have a number of solo diners, and the sushi is good.
 
rapunzel said:
A friend just clued me into this site when I mentioned what a shame it was that there was no Zagat's for 30-A. It's been wonderful to find so much good advise. There is one feature of the Zagat's that is missing...the Dining Alone list. Always a godsend for business trips, I have used it everywhere and never minded eating out by myself. I am here for a few months and have made a few attempts to go out and it has been so uncomfortable. When I asked for a table for one, one hostess repeated loudly, "You're by yourself? No one else is coming?"

Any suggestions? Maybe a place where it's possible to eat at the bar?
The bar at Borago or Cafe 30A. Both are great places.
 
Wait staff here probably doesn't see too many singles dining.

I agree about the above suggestions. Also Fish Out of Water at WaterColor has a Sushi bar, Shades and Bud & Alley's, Smiling Fish, Royal Orchid, Pandora's. The Red Bar.

Let us know if you would like to meet somebody (or just let down your hair). ;-)
 
When I'm at the beach alone, I eat at the bar and talk to the bartender. Then I don't feel alone. It's actually fun.

But please don't read a book while dining alone. It makes you look pathetic. Someone was doing that at the bar at Taqueria Del Sol (ATL) when I was there recently. If you're that uncomfortable, get takeout.
 
Beach Runner said:
But please don't read a book while dining alone. It makes you look pathetic. Someone was doing that at the bar at Taqueria Del Sol (ATL) when I was there recently. If you're that uncomfortable, get takeout.

I like to call that time management. I could care less of what people think of me reading. Maybe they think, "that guy must be smart, I see him reading instead of watching Fox news on mute while he is dining." FYI - Not everyone thinks alike, Beach Runner. Reading a book while at lunch is also a way to keep to yourself when you don't want to talk to everyone. ;-)
 
Smiling JOe said:
I like to call that time management. I could care less of what people think of me reading. Maybe they think, "that guy must be smart, I see him reading instead of watching Fox news on mute while he is dining." FYI - Not everyone thinks alike, Beach Runner. Reading a book while at lunch is also a way to keep to yourself when you don't want to talk to everyone. ;-)
But I like to talk, in case you haven't noticed. :floor: I also like to watch sports on TV at the bar.
 
Beach Runner said:
But I like to talk, in case you haven't noticed. :floor: I also like to watch sports on TV at the bar.

Reading is NOT pathetic BR!!!!! I find a good book or article very good company!!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top