• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Direct Buy?????

New posts

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Anyone know anything about it?? I signed on for info since there is one in Pensacola...but now it's starting to have that "time share" feel.....:idontno:
 
Anyone know anything about it?? I signed on for info since there is one in Pensacola...but now it's starting to have that "time share" feel.....:idontno:


My daughter researches these things on the internet as a hobby. She told me that this is like the buyers' club from hell. You get in, but you can not get out. I think she said you had to pay some ridiculous membership fee and then the prices were not that great.

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/direct_buy_scams
 
I don't have personal experience with Direct Buy. We have one locally. But I know someone who used them when she gutted her kitchen and she was very happy. Said she saved quite a bit of money.
 
Well, I'm in Illinois, but I think they are the same pretty much everywhere. Years ago when we were re-doing our house, we joined. It was then called united consumers club. The cost at that time was around $650. to join and then there were yearly dues. We saved a lot of money, but we re-did almost our entire home. Last year, we went to one of their meetings again (with some friends who thought it mite work for them) and found out the joining cost now is $5,000.Unless you are going to re-do a lot or are building a new place, I don't think it's worth it. They do have name brands (furniture, cabinets, appliances, tile, wood flooring, carpets, etc.) and everything is picked out of catalogs. You also have to pay for shipping and most of the time find a delivery person. Again, good products, but costly to join. Hope this helps.
 
Thanks for the answers. We are building a new house, but I really don't have time for a big "sales" job. I just need it done. I'm kind of thinking ....NO!

I do know that if it's like that to join, I'm definitly out!
 
Some close friends of my parents swear by Direct Buy. They joined prior to building their house and they say that when you total up how much they purchased and what it would have cost, that they saved something like $25,000.
 
Well, I'm in Illinois, but I think they are the same pretty much everywhere. Years ago when we were re-doing our house, we joined. It was then called united consumers club. The cost at that time was around $650. to join and then there were yearly dues. We saved a lot of money, but we re-did almost our entire home. Last year, we went to one of their meetings again (with some friends who thought it mite work for them) and found out the joining cost now is $5,000.Unless you are going to re-do a lot or are building a new place, I don't think it's worth it. They do have name brands (furniture, cabinets, appliances, tile, wood flooring, carpets, etc.) and everything is picked out of catalogs. You also have to pay for shipping and most of the time find a delivery person. Again, good products, but costly to join. Hope this helps.


That sort of system would really be great years ago. But with internet, and a little bit of time, I would think that you could come very close to their prices today. But some people do not have the time, so the $5K is a good deal in that case.
 
Anyone know anything about it?? I signed on for info since there is one in Pensacola...but now it's starting to have that "time share" feel.....:idontno:

What/who "ecouraged" you to even consider Direct Buy (TV or newspaper ad, telemarketer, "friend")?

What are they charging you for membership?

.
 
Last edited:
With the current economy and dearth of new construction, I would think anyone remodeling a home could get some great deals without having to shell out 5 grand for the privilege.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top