• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Do you believe the Population Statistics?

New posts

AAbsolute

Banned
Everything I research and read says that Florida is gaining and will continue to gain about 900 new residents per day. They are reported to be coming from foreign countries, new birth's and migration from other States in America. The County by County projected population change shows Walton gaining about 1,925 new residents per year. This trend is expected to continue for 40 years.

Has anyone in the business ever seen a report or have personal knowledge to back this up. With most settlement historically occurring along developed roadways and particularly those along waterfront, this could be a pretty solid trend for our impending correction.
 
It's still expanding, but has slowed. That's pretty typical for slow economic times. When things pick up, and with the price of housing, I'd bet we'll see big increases two years out or so.

http://news.ufl.edu/2008/03/27/florida-population-2/

I like the article. Even though it explains immediate term it still confirms the concensus. I haven't seen a lot of data on Walton County alone, but I found some.

Have you seen anything that disputes the growth range I put forward for Florida and Walton County in particular.
 
I remember this article from another thread: http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1821648,00.html

So many Northeastern transplants are leaving Florida for other states with less congestion and better education systems that they have their own nickname: Halfbacks. In 2000, Florida attracted 19% of the nation's migrating seniors; by 2006, it was only 13%. Florida still has some of America's richest ZIP codes, but it ranks among the worst states in school spending and health coverage.

I thought at the height of the boom we were getting about 1500/day. Maybe foreigners and births are making up the difference. Whatever it is, I think slower growth is a good thing, once we learn to budget with less. Unbridled growth can't be sustained. Also, when most of your growth is from retirees, it's no wonder that education spending is not a priority. If we can shift the focus to improving education, we can start to attract better jobs.
 
It's still expanding, but has slowed. That's pretty typical for slow economic times. When things pick up, and with the price of housing, I'd bet we'll see big increases two years out or so.

http://news.ufl.edu/2008/03/27/florida-population-2/


I agree with this. The new pay scales for constitutional officials, which are based on population, were released last week and most pay only went up around .3-.4 percent. Monroe County, Key West, actually had a drop in pay due to population shrinking.
 
By casual observation I noticed more Asians and Europeans this year than I remember meeting ever before in this area.
 
I'm not trying to be funny or morbid, but do they count deaths in all of this? Since Florida has such a large elderly population I would think it would, but if it doesn't that could explain why we don't really notice any gains.
 
I'm not trying to be funny or morbid, but do they count deaths in all of this? Since Florida has such a large elderly population I would think it would, but if it doesn't that could explain why we don't really notice any gains.

Depending on the source, I believe any gains are supposed to be "net."
 
Do the population outflows include include the gypsy vampires that tuck tail and skulk back across the State lines or just wander into the dunes to nasty away? But I guess there are some good mortgage brokers.
 
I'm not trying to be funny or morbid, but do they count deaths in all of this? Since Florida has such a large elderly population I would think it would, but if it doesn't that could explain why we don't really notice any gains.

I found this data. http://www.city-data.com/county/Walton_County_FL.html

I think you need to post the zip code 32459 in the dialogue box and then maybe click on Walton.

Can anyone educate me on how to properly link http to Sowal.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top