• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Does a photo op make it OK?

New posts

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
This morning, a group of people were sitting on a dune restoration area, including a photographer taking their pictures. I asked them if they had seen the signs and they said "it is OK, we?re being careful". I didn?t think it was OK. I took their picture. The photographer said it was illegal for me to take their picture, so we?re even. I had thought of posting the photo to sowal along with my comment. In my understanding, I can take pictures in public but it would be illegal for me to post them without model releases. I?m wondering if it is so illegal to photograph people that I couldn?t use a photo to document a complaint. For example if I showed a photo to a sheriff of someone breaking a rule. Could the rule breakers then sue me for taking their picture? Can I only complain verbally?
 
"it is OK, we’re being careful".
I think you should show it to a deputy and ask him if it is ok. But ask him not to tell. hehe. that way he will know what they look like. But I dont think they can sue if you took the picture of them engaging in an illegal activity and only showed it to law enforcement. Ok..lawyers, where are you, chime in..
 
Last edited:
This morning, a group of people were sitting on a dune restoration area, including a photographer taking their pictures. I asked them if they had seen the signs and they said "it is OK, we’re being careful". I didn’t think it was OK. I took their picture. The photographer said it was illegal for me to take their picture, so we’re even. I had thought of posting the photo to sowal along with my comment. In my understanding, I can take pictures in public but it would be illegal for me to post them without model releases. I’m wondering if it is so illegal to photograph people that I couldn’t use a photo to document a complaint. For example if I showed a photo to a sheriff of someone breaking a rule. Could the rule breakers then sue me for taking their picture? Can I only complain verbally?

POST PIX-POST PIX-POST PIX :clap: :clap: :clap: :biggrin: !!!!!
 
Last edited:
I believe the only time it is illegal to take someone's picture is if you are standing on private property, and even then it is a matter of trespassing, in which case the property owner would have to file a complaint.

The legality comes into question on how you USE a photo, not how you acquire it.

Here's a link to an explanation of rights in plain language - http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html

Whenever you see someone who may be a pro shooting photos in the dunes, politely request their card and ask if they're a pro. If they say yes, politley mention that "true pros" who are experienced in the area know that dunes are strictly off limits and it is illegal to be on them. Say it loudly enough for the photo subjects to hear you. Photographers may ignore you or act rudely, but you have their card!

If the person is not a pro or a "pro without a card", they will either take your kind warning kindly, or if they are rude, they are either lying about being a pro or won't be in business long anyway.
 
I believe the only time it is illegal to take someone's picture is if you are standing on private property,
<snip> ...
Here's a link to an explanation of rights in plain language - http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html
I suppose the private beach issue could be involved, although I believe I was on a public beach. I'm reading the link, which is very interesting. Haven't formed a clear opinion yet. I did get and like the idea that it is best to always take the picture and worry about legal uses of it afterwards. Thanks.
 
POST IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also like it when familys dressed in khaki & white plop down right in the middle of the beach entrance in Grayton when the sand is soft.:angry:
Can you say stuck?
 
I've posted a photo on here of a guy walking up the dunes with a keep off the dunes sign in the foreground. Some people commented that I was wrong in doing so, while others praised me for doing it.

I, too, was indecisive as to what to do yesterday, when I was driving behind a truck with a big sign on the tailgate, "Donel Davidson Construction 850-834-2017." I had my camera, but I didn't want to cause a wreck trying to catch the driver of the vehicle throwing out a cigarette butt. For the very short mile which I was behind the truck, I witnessed the driver throw six cigarette butts onto the road, one at a time. :bang: There. I did it. Was it Donel Davidson? I don't know. Maybe it was an employee. :idontno:



Professional photographers should know better than to destroy our dune and making money while doing so. I think if someone is profiting from being in the dunes, their penalty should be more harsh than someone who is not profiting from the act. Just my opinion. I say post the photo(s), and tell charge $10 if the photographer wants a copy.
 
When we arrived last week, there were several sand buckets and shovels in the dunes, and there were holes where the kids had dug. :pissed: I kept checking to see if the kids and their parents returned so I could say something to them, but I never did. Guess it was some renter that just left their junk on the beach. I confiscated the toys and also threw away all of the trash and abandoned items near our walkover.

I just can't believe people don't know that it's not okay to stomp around or make sandcastles in the dunes!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top