• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Dog on the beach

New posts
It's extremely common for local governments to restrict access or charge different resident/non-resident rates for certain types of public facilities. I can think of a couple different Great Lakes beaches that are municipailty-owned and only allow residents of that municipality and a limited number of guests to have access to that beach, and it's common for a municipality to have different rates and rental policies for residents and non-residents for things like community centers, swimming pools, and golf courses. There's a big price difference for Panama City Beach residents and non-Florida residents for admission to the pools at Frank Brown Park for one.
 
Instead we take Lulu to beaches in Florida that are not crowded and are pet friendly, such as Indian Pass, Cape San Blas and Amelia Island. It's much more funn for her, and we don't have to worry about offending or scaring people with a running/drooling labrador retriever - hardly anyone around!

Are any of these near here? I have no clue. I have never lived in Florida before and am quite excited for the 1st to get here! I can't wait to find new places to take day trips to- although I really will miss my drives to North Georgia...
 
Are any of these near here? I have no clue. I have never lived in Florida before and am quite excited for the 1st to get here! I can't wait to find new places to take day trips to- although I really will miss my drives to North Georgia...

Indian Pass / Cape San Blas area is about 90 minutes east of sowal, near Port St Joe and Appalachicola. It's a wonderful place to visit. Some folks do day trips from here, but we usually go for a long weekend or so.

also, in the winter time in sowal, you can find a quiet stretch of beach to take your dogs and no one will be around to care. don't say I said that!
 
Just a warning that if you're headed eastward toward Cape San Blas/PSJ/Appalach, you really want to try to time it so you aren't hitting rush hour trafic going through Panama City. Any time we head thataway, that's where we get all slowed down.
 
Are any of these near here? I have no clue. I have never lived in Florida before and am quite excited for the 1st to get here! I can't wait to find new places to take day trips to- although I really will miss my drives to North Georgia...

BlueFox181, I was thinking you were already down there and had your poochies. Hope you have found a place to live by now. You need to post some pics on here after you get your dogs.
 
Jodi,

I suspect that this "Property owner or permanent year round resident" business is illegal.

Has anyone taken this issue to court or am I benhind times?:idontno:

I just posted the link but I doubt anyone would be able to. Most places in Florida dont allow them AT ALL, just as most places dont allow vehicles. I look at this as a perk of the area we live in. I dont take my dog to the beach but I am sure not going to ruin it for others by contesting a rule that has no effect on me. There are certain perks of owning property here (beach permits for dogs & vehicles) just as there are certain drawbacks (high taxes,cost of living,hurricanes) but IMHO, I dont think we should let people from out of state have animals,that cannot be monitored and verified as being current on shots etc.past the week they are here, running the beach. I also think that it would probably be out of the jurisdiction of the sheriffs dept. or animal control, should an animal from a different state cause harm to someone, to prosecute the owner of that animal or even hold the dog for observation as they do in attack cases. This was a resolution to a problem many years ago between people that came here to find strange dogs running up to them on the beach and scaring them and their kids and the people that live here and have taken their dogs to the beaches forever. I think it was a reasonable compromise. At least this way they are regulated in a way that the tourists have the beach during most of the daylight hours and those residents that have had the pleasure of their dogs with them at the beach can continue to do so. But I am sure that in this litigious time that we live in, someone will be offended and sue and that will be the end of yet another tradition in this area.

running/drooling labrador retriever
Someone was probably mad because one of these grabbed the kids ball and ran in the water with it, then came back and shook all over them while waiting for them to throw it back in the water.:D that caused the permits to be required in the first place.
 
Last edited:
IMG_4033sm.jpg


This dog is wondering how he is supposed to know where to go in order to obtain a permit and how he is supposed to pay for the permit. :idontno:

:floor: :floor: wow.
 
:lolabove: probably just wants whoever to put the camera down and "throw the D*** ball!"
Grayton Beach was once a haven for wonderful dogs - some of the local dogs just took themsevles out to the beach each day.
Well that is the way Grayton got its slogan....NICE DOGS ..STRANGE PEOPLE.
 
Last edited:
IMG_4033sm.jpg


This dog is wondering how she is supposed to know where to go in order to obtain a permit and how he is supposed to pay for the permit. :idontno: She is also wondering why there is no rule against cats requiring permits to be on the beach. Any why are all of the birds allowed to roam and fly, free of charge. :idontno::idontno::idontno::idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top