• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Dogs on the Beach Policy

New posts

FL Dawg

Beach Fanatic
What are the rules regarding allowing dogs on the beach. And yes I am a local if that makes any difference, I've just never had a dog before!!
 
The rules are actually a mess. A constitutional crisis, where equal protection is dismissed and those that 'own' or 'reside' in this area have more rights that those that visit. Something totally against the Constitution. Residents believe that the beaches belong to them. But if that is true, then why does the county have to get permits to restore them? Because the beaches belong to the Citizens of the State of Florida is why. And the US Constitution grants equal rights to all citizens without a requirement for land ownership. But the BCC actually thinks that we should have some things special that are reserved for the local taxpayer, read voter. When in fact all dogs should be banned from the beach permanently.
 
The rules are actually a mess. A constitutional crisis, where equal protection is dismissed and those that 'own' or 'reside' in this area have more rights that those that visit. Something totally against the Constitution. Residents believe that the beaches belong to them. But if that is true, then why does the county have to get permits to restore them? Because the beaches belong to the Citizens of the State of Florida is why. And the US Constitution grants equal rights to all citizens without a requirement for land ownership. But the BCC actually thinks that we should have some things special that are reserved for the local taxpayer, read voter. When in fact all dogs should be banned from the beach permanently.[/qW

Well I guess we know how you feel about that, don't we?:cool:
 
WD is usually pretty good at making his feelings known. Occasionally he is a little misguided, but normally he is spot on. :cool:
 
I don't know why I am biting on this hook. Boy, am I a sucker...

I have a dog and am a new local. I absolutely love it that I can legally have my dog on the beach and am glad that visitors and tourists aren't afforded the same priviledge...

But out of curiousity, are there any reasons (besides the principle and your interpretation of the constitution) why you want to see all dogs outlawed from the beach?

e.g. Safety, Health, Cleanliness, etc.

I doubt anyone will sway this dog lover but I always like to understand the opposition...

Cheers,
GW
 
The rules are actually a mess. A constitutional crisis, where equal protection is dismissed and those that 'own' or 'reside' in this area have more rights that those that visit. Something totally against the Constitution. Residents believe that the beaches belong to them. But if that is true, then why does the county have to get permits to restore them? Because the beaches belong to the Citizens of the State of Florida is why. And the US Constitution grants equal rights to all citizens without a requirement for land ownership. But the BCC actually thinks that we should have some things special that are reserved for the local taxpayer, read voter. When in fact all dogs should be banned from the beach permanently.

As you noted in the beginning of your rant, one is not required to own land in order to purchase a Dog Permit. I think the dog permits are mistakely referred to as Beach Permits, because they are actually County Dog Licenses, just as most counties and cities often require. ;-)
 
Actually, they are in fact beach permits, as one is not required to purchase one unless you plan to take your dog to the beach.

There are few things more delightful than watching a well-behaved dog having a blast on the beach. And, I love dogs; I have three of them. However, I am *personally* against dogs on the beach because I have been face-down in a beach chair, nearly asleep, and had a large off-leash-no-owner-in-sight dog come along and pee on me. :eek:
 
However, I am *personally* against dogs on the beach because I have been face-down in a beach chair, nearly asleep, and had a large off-leash-no-owner-in-sight dog come along and pee on me. :eek:


It's so sad that a handful of negligent dog owners can spoil it for the rest. I'm not a dog owner (though I do have a cuddly bunny:wub:), but I love watching pups play on the beach. I would expect dog owners to carry a plastic poo-poo bag and clean up after their pups. And hopefully the dog that peed on you accidentally got away from his owner and wasn't let loose intentionally!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top