• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

dogs on the beach

New posts
Donna said:
Butter came to us with an implanted chip that has all the contact numbers, including the breeder's, in the event they can't get in touch with us for some reason. The only thing about the implanted chip is that one has to scan the dog to find it. You have no idea the chip is there, for all practical purposes. Not every household has a pet scanner on hand. Butter's even has his DNA in there, although I don't know why that is necessary or even relevant. Guess if he commits a murder, it would be helpful to the prosecution. Then upon reflection...maybe not. :idontno:

:lolabove: That DNA has me laughing!!!

Dont you think the chip is mostly for dogs taken to vets and shelters? One dog I rescued that had been hit by a car luckily had a chip and the vet (which was the closest one) was even his own vet!! I can't imagine anyone having a pet scanner at home!!!
 
Sueshore said:
:lolabove: That DNA has me laughing!!!

Dont you think the chip is mostly for dogs taken to vets and shelters? One dog I rescued that had been hit by a car luckily had a chip and the vet (which was the closest one) was even his own vet!! I can't imagine anyone having a pet scanner at home!!!

I betcha Tom Cruise has one. Wait, no, that was an ultrasound machine... :lolabove:
 
I'd wouldn't make any bets on local shelters having chip readers. I HOPE they do, and I'm not sure if the facility in Chipley does, but I know that the 'old' Walton County shelter didn't.
 
ShallowsNole said:
I'd wouldn't make any bets on local shelters having chip readers. I HOPE they do, and I'm not sure if the facility in Chipley does, but I know that the 'old' Walton County shelter didn't.

The Louisville shelters do have the scanners. It seems it would be a money saver to have one and find owners of chipped dogs rather than paying to house, feed, medicate, etc. That would be a nice piece of equipment for someone to donate to a shelter.
 
ShallowsNole said:
I'd wouldn't make any bets on local shelters having chip readers. I HOPE they do, and I'm not sure if the facility in Chipley does, but I know that the 'old' Walton County shelter didn't.
The Shelter in Ft Walton Beach where we picked up a little critter has one.
 
Yeah, SJ, but that's in Okaloosa County. I don't know how to say this without stereotyping people, so I will use my own relatives to get the point across...

Dexter is currently our senior pet, a 18-lb grey tabby cat. When I came home from having Dexter neutered and explained to my husband that a microchip had been implanted under his (Dexter's) skin between his shoulder blades, my husband's reaction was :funn: He then CALLED all of his cousins in the north end of Walton County to tell them "You aren't going to believe this...my wife had the cat programmed! Dexter has a microchip implanted in him! Hope the remote control doesn't make him do goofy stuff!" They all thought it was hysterical.

That was six years ago. Both cats and our Lab have microchips, and the two 7-wk old baby tiny puppies that joined our family last weekend will eventually be microchipped. My wonderful redneck spouse is now accustomed to the idea. But I can only hope the rest of my beloved Walton County is!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top