• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Drivers beware

New posts
There is something very disturbing about this post. What gave you the impression that they were here illegally? The fact that they were from Mexico? (And my guess is that you don't actually know they are from Mexico but are making a generalization -- which goes back to the old "They all look the same to me" statement that has been applied to any group that you don't care enough to really notice.) I would caution you to get more information before jumping to the conclusion that they are here illegally.

And while I'm on my soapbox please save your disgust for the people who are bringing them here illegally so that they can do their work much cheaper -- and bypass paying taxes on their salaries. Could you really say that if your family was desperate for money you wouldn't do whatever it takes to get them fed????



(Stepping off soapbox for now)

Excellent comment, Tis.
 
Direct deposit, the mail, handed out at work.........

I was thinking more in terms that "17 year olds" should have been in school.


ALWAYS call the cops when you get in an accident! Amazing how often a minor tap that was completely someone else's fault can end up with a neck brace and suit against you. :roll:
Actually, no. Not for "pittance" type pay. When my son worked at Target this past summer, he had to return on payday to p/u his check. Most 17 yr olds don't have direct deposit. They want that check in their hand. :clap:

And a lot of 17 yr. olds work half days/attend school half days. There are circumstances that many are unaware of. :wave:
 
There is something very disturbing about this post. What gave you the impression that they were here illegally? The fact that they were from Mexico? (And my guess is that you don't actually know they are from Mexico but are making a generalization -- which goes back to the old "They all look the same to me" statement that has been applied to any group that you don't care enough to really notice.) I would caution you to get more information before jumping to the conclusion that they are here illegally.

And while I'm on my soapbox please save your disgust for the people who are bringing them here illegally so that they can do their work much cheaper -- and bypass paying taxes on their salaries. Could you really say that if your family was desperate for money you wouldn't do whatever it takes to get them fed????

(Stepping off soapbox for now)
'Tis an interesting thought regarding who "brings the illegals in to work." If we look at the bigger picture, we begin to look into the mirror at ourselves. We consumers demand cheaper prices. I guess in some ways, we could also say that we are responsible for lead being put into our children's toys, as we cry to China to give us outstanding prices. In the end, in numerous ways, we get that for which we pay. In this case, we get unlicensed, uninsured motorists, driving vehicles which are not roadworthy.
 
'Tis an interesting thought regarding who "brings the illegals in to work." If we look at the bigger picture, we begin to look into the mirror at ourselves. We consumers demand cheaper prices. I guess in some ways, we could also say that we are responsible for lead being put into our children's toys, as we cry to China to give us outstanding prices. In the end, in numerous ways, we get that for which we pay. In this case, we get unlicensed, uninsured motorists, driving vehicles which are not roadworthy.
:clap:
 
Apparently, if they are under 18, the law enforcement in our country has no alternative other than finding a "responsible" older family member, illegal or not to pick them up. That was hard to swallow. If he had been over 18, he would have gone to jail.....don't know for how long though, probably no laws to support that either.

It seems at the very least we could have some inspection system for vehicles to require minimal safety standards and this would eliminate part of the safety issues for other drivers.

This is definately needed. Inspection before you get a tag or renew.
 
In Missouri, if you are the one that "hits" something, it is your fault.
I was driving down the highway, in front of me was a trailer with tree clippings on it, a huge branch came flying out of the back and bounced up my hood and busted my windshield. The trailer had no license plate on it, I had to pull over, he kept going. My insurance company told me it was my fault because I hit the branch. :bang:

I feel your frustration!!
 
Thanks for all of the perspectives. It gave me balance.

It was a real eye opener to realize that non-documented residents willfully violating our laws have more rights, and are not subject to any of the natural consequences of those violations, simply because you can't verify who they are, their true age, where they really live, and if they own the car....regardless of who is at fault.

At the end of the day, I am grateful....for my mildly sore shoulders, and no other real reason to complain about anything today! Thanks all.
 
In Missouri, if you are the one that "hits" something, it is your fault.
I was driving down the highway, in front of me was a trailer with tree clippings on it, a huge branch came flying out of the back and bounced up my hood and busted my windshield. The trailer had no license plate on it, I had to pull over, he kept going. My insurance company told me it was my fault because I hit the branch. :bang:

I feel your frustration!!

Nowgirl, Keep in mind that laws are made to protect criminals. ktchris, your key word is "BOUNCED." I hear that insurance companies will blame the driver if it bounces off the ground prior to "you hitting it," even if you did avoid running 45 other drivers off the road in rush hour traffic on I-285. Supposedly, if you are behind another vehicle and that branch gets lifted by the wind, and drifts down and hits your windshield (without first bouncing off the ground), you have a totally different story, and the insurance company will likely pay for the damage. I guess they claim that we have the opportunity to avoid objects which are on the ground, or coming from the ground, but not crap from falling out of the sky.
 
Thanks for all of the perspectives. It gave me balance.

It was a real eye opener to realize that non-documented residents willfully violating our laws have more rights, and are not subject to any of the natural consequences of those violations, simply because you can't verify who they are, their true age, where they really live, and if they own the car....regardless of who is at fault.

At the end of the day, I am grateful....for my mildly sore shoulders, and no other real reason to complain about anything today! Thanks all.
Spitzer tried to do something about it and got reamed.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top