• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Eden's Landing?

New posts
I actually was one of the selling agents on the first phase of EL. I own a duplex lot. They have not done much on the commercial end but there is a commercial site on the south side of the property. I may build one day but was hoping the developer would be the first one to build. I feel it would give many owners confidence in the community. EL is like many other developments in our area that got started at the wrong time. In the long haul it will be ok but right now most of the first phase buyers were flippers. The Developers are local and will probably move forward soon on this one. Let's hope.
 
In reality, we would probably start out with a long term rental, or stay with my parents while we look around.

As far as what we are looking for:
A place near parks/nature, where my husband can cycle. He is also quite tall and is from Europe where houses are built to last - so tall ceilings and doors, strong construction is important to him (he has to duck under door frames and ceiling fans sometimes, and we don't want to get washed away in hurricane). I would really like a screened porch, and a backyard with some privacy, peaceful neighborhood. Other than that, we are not too picky.

If we found a place that fits the bill, we would hopefully buy it and save some of the hassles of building. But we are open to buying a lot first, then building (although we have never done that before). We really like the Woods, but that is beyond our budget right now (but I can still dream!).... I realize beggars can't be choosy, but I guess I was just looking to see what our options might be. After years of exile in Houston, I'm ready to come back!!! And my husband loves SoWal too.
 
Wow - you are all so helpful! Thank you for all of the quick replies and input!

Rapunzel, silly question, but what website or search engine should I use to find this property? I tried googling but I didn't find it...
 
Nevermind, I found it (485350)... All I can say is wow! Love those high ceilings, red exterior-looks like a magical cottage...
 
In reality, we would probably start out with a long term rental, or stay with my parents while we look around.

As far as what we are looking for:
A place near parks/nature, where my husband can cycle. He is also quite tall and is from Europe where houses are built to last - so tall ceilings and doors, strong construction is important to him (he has to duck under door frames and ceiling fans sometimes, and we don't want to get washed away in hurricane). I would really like a screened porch, and a backyard with some privacy, peaceful neighborhood. Other than that, we are not too picky.

If we found a place that fits the bill, we would hopefully buy it and save some of the hassles of building. But we are open to buying a lot first, then building (although we have never done that before). We really like the Woods, but that is beyond our budget right now (but I can still dream!).... I realize beggars can't be choosy, but I guess I was just looking to see what our options might be. After years of exile in Houston, I'm ready to come back!!! And my husband loves SoWal too.


How much are lots in the Woods subdivision you're looking at?
 
This board is ACTIVE! Thanks everybody. I was thinking that most of the lots in the Woods were 250 and over, but apparently some have come down quite a bit recently. It seems that some of the listings in phase II are more expensive than phase I, the bay side (but some of these are probably bigger lots). I'm still learning. All I know is that I really like the Point Washington area.
 
There are several, very affordable homes in Pt Washington right now. I am somewhat surprised that a couple of them are still available. They probably won't be available a year from now for that price, as they appear to be distressed sales. Pt Washington is a great area to live year round, but don't tell too many people.
 
Now I feel like an official SoWaller because Smiling Joe has weighed in! Yeah! I read your posts all the time. Don't worry, Joe, I wouldn't dream of broadcasting the news too far and wide, because my roots are in Walton and I remember what it was like before. I know we have to share, but we still are allowed a few good secrets. I must also say that good "developments" in the area include the influx of new diverse and interesting characters (and more art and some good restaurants too!).
My biggest complaint: inappropriate palm trees! But that is for another thread. But those have been around even in the more "undiscovered" days of SoWal.
 
I've gone back and forth on non-native palms over the years. It's kind of like:

1. Cool! We've made it to Florida. Palm trees are awesome!
2. But they're not native to the area. We've got so many neat trees that are native, and people want more plam trees.
3. But unlike those #$%^ non-native shortleaf pines and a number of native trees, they're actually fairly wind-tolerant when a hurricane comes calling.
4. But then they look really ugly when someone decides to put Christmas lights on them.
5. The sago palm is actually a nice type of shrubbery when used in limited amounts.
6. But many current land use codes let developers cut down perfectly nice youngish live oaks and replace them with scraggly looking cabbage palms.
7. Why am I spending so much time contemplating palm trees when my time would be better spent hanging out at Topsail SP instead? Fire up the car and grab the beach chairs!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top