• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Electric Powered Bicycles

New posts

Wildernester

Beach Lover
If motorized vehicles are not permitted on the bike/walking paths along 30A, 395, 283, 393, etc., does that mean that electric powered bicycles cannot be operated on the paths?
 
I have an electric bicycle and I ride on tne bike path.

After all, it is a bicycle. It has an electric motor and a battery. Its called an electric assist and has a top speed of about 18 mph going downhill.

I’m cautious and courteous of others using the bike path and present no danger to anyone else or myself.

Our communities and statutes need to keep up with changing society.
 
I do not think they should be allowed on the bike paths. I have seen people on the electric bikes FLY by people; it's not safe. Just a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Forget about keeping up with "changing society"--they are motorized vehicles, period.
 
My friend was hit head on and knocked off her bike while riding on the path near Grayton State Park by someone texting on a regular bike. Can you imagine someone texting on an electric bike? yikes !! I think I will stay off the bike path this summer and stick to the feeder paths that go toward Hwy98 instead.
 
My friend was hit head on and knocked off her bike while riding on the path near Grayton State Park by someone texting on a regular bike. Can you imagine someone texting on an electric bike? yikes !! I think I will stay off the bike path this summer and stick to the feeder paths that go toward Hwy98 instead.

I tend to agree with the view that a bicycle with an electric motor is a motorized vehicle and should not be operated on the paths.
 
Can the bike be tagged for street use? If not, the path would be their only choice.
 
Doesn't make any more sense than allowing scooters. If everyone riding them rode them slow when others are on the path it would be ok but that won't happen so they are dangerous. Just like someone riding 20mph on a pedal bike.
 
I think the "electric assist" feature exempts them from being motorized vehicles subject to licensing. That being said, a lot of cyclists don't follow law and the rules of the road while riding and many don't even stop for stop signs and the number of bicycle riders on public roads in South Walton County is becoming a problem.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top