• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Enforcement for remove it or lose it?

New posts
I had never seen these beach canopies until coming to the area. In the Northeast, beach umbrellas and small portable tents are used, mostly in part because people HAVE to remove their belongings off the beach, or they are gone in the am by the municipalities. I never did understand the use of these, because the sun moves, and part of the canopy goes unshaded anyway. You can't turn it like an umbrella. So, the only rationale for the use of these was being able to put a bigger footprint down in the sand. I was shocked the first time I came down to Sowal in June, and the beaches were lined were these tentominiums. I couldn't even see the gulf from the beach walkovers during my morning walk. If they are such a hassle to put up and take down, why bother with them? It's much easier for family members to carry umbrellas vs. one person setting up and dismantling a tent every day. There's also the respect for one another of using the beach you need vs. using the beach you want to have.
 
Did you mention that it's a possibility that someone might come by and load up all their stuff and haul it away?

Like I said, it would have been an exercise in futility.

I don't understand the "tentominium" thing, either. Seems like way the heck too much trouble--too much to carry to the beach, too much to pack, too much sand in the car when I get home. A book and a chair...
 
The small umbrellas are the only way to go. They are compact and lightweight, and easy to take with you at the end of the day. I really don't know why people would drag those heavy metal-frame canopies through all of that loose sand, other than to mark their territory and leave their beach crap under it over night.

I haven't seen any signs of tagging this year. Can't report on the TDC removal as I am not at the beach when those guys make their early morning sweeps, but if it isn't being tagged, it isn't being hauled away.

That light-weight tent canopy pictured in post 27 looks like it might be a great alternative to the heavy things, and would be easy to set up and remove daily, but I guess WalMart doesn't sell them, so most people don't use them (sarcasm off).
 
Like I said, it would have been an exercise in futility.

I don't understand the "tentominium" thing, either. Seems like way the heck too much trouble--too much to carry to the beach, too much to pack, too much sand in the car when I get home. A book and a chair...

I am confused...are you saying your friends continued to leave stuff on the beach even after YOU explained the rules?

I am with y'all...the tent thing has me baffled. I think they should be banned.
 
I'm not saying that some type of "move it or lose it" ordinance is a bad thing. These things can obviously get out of hand. But perhaps the reason why CE isn't enforcing it is because they couldn't possibly have enough trucks to even do it with on a holiday weekend like this. I know about the ordinance, but I couldn't tell you from where... definitely not because I've seen a sign stating it. That being the case, I can bet everything I've got in my pocket that 99% of tourists aren't going to have a clue.

Could there not be some sort of middle ground? Perhaps weekends ok to leave well grounded canopies installed past the high tide? Everything tagged with owners name and address? If it's found floating, you get fined?

Pulling that thing up is no small feat for us, whether or not you think 3 women between 4'9" and 5'3" and all under 120 pounds can handle it. We go back and forth between the house and beach all day with the kids, eat lunch, nap, shower, come back to watch the sunset, etc... I really think it's unnecessary for us to have to pull it up constantly. We're responsible beachgoers, myself and my 70yr old grandfather are property owners, and we don't leave crap all over the place. We don't block people's views, destroy the dunes, leave giant 4ft deep manholes all over the place, or bury beer bottles in the sand, which I've seen countless tourists do. I do admit that my kids have accidentally thrown sand in the wind and pissed a few people off though...

The only "middle ground" I think possible, is to relax the rules outside of turtle nesting season - the main reason for the "no items left overnight" part. Unfortunately for tourists, turtle nesting season is May 1 until October 31.
 
You have a tent on the beach at night that is camping. Camping on the beach is against the law. I you pass out on the beach they can arrest you. No more argument. Take your crap of the beach!!! The Grayton Beach Militia are watching!:bang::bang::bang:
 
You have a tent on the beach at night that is camping. Camping on the beach is against the law.
:clap:

I really don't care how big you or the tent are or how many kids you have underfoot. All I hear are excuses and whining because you don't want to follow the rules.

As far as gender and size preventing you from doing something, my 5'-3" AARP card carrying mother would uproot your tent and bop you upside the head with it!
 
beach crap

Walked the beach at Ed Walline at 6 this morn...probly 20 "campsites" set up..and I'm thinkin' some o' these folks are gone!!!!
 
I have just replaced my "canopy" that I have used for the last 2 years with 2 beach umbrella's (The one's that Mango suggested). I am looking forward to being able to carry them down to the beach, and then shutting them up and bringing them back up to the condo each day. They will be much easier to handle than the canopy anyway. It won't be long now until I get to use them. :clap:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top