• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Fabulous Trip

New posts

beachlvr

Beach Comber
My family and I just returned from Seagrove today after a wonderful week at the beach. I had to post my thoughts from the past week. . .

The beach was gorgeous! We were in Seagrove last year one week after a tropical storm, and the beaches were in bad shape. I was thrilled to see how different they looked this year. Beautiful white sand. The water was perfect - and clear and calm.

We saw dolphins five out of seven mornings. That always thrills me. But I have to ask - year after year, I always notice that the dolphins swim towards the East. I've never seen them traveling west. Is this just a coincidence, or is there reasoning behind it?

Yesterday morning - we had our biggest thrill yet. We saw a turtle! Got it on video as well as it stuck it's head up out of the water. I'm assuming it is not often that you get to witness that. He was in very shallow water.

And the SHELLS! This was our 6th visit to Sowal. And I love the area. But I've never found shells until this year (we were told it was due to the storm that hit down the coast last week). I found beautiful shells, which was a delight.

We discovered Yianni's Seagrove Grill (thanks to advice from this website) and the food there was wondeful. We'll definitely make it a regular stop.

We went to Dear Lake STate Park (another first). What a wonderful place to visit! The beach was deserted - it was like having our own private piece of the beach.

But finally, the only negative comment I have to post . . . I was so disappointed with the trash on the beach and around EAstern Lake. Cans and bottles and cigarette butts, a dog collar, chip bags, you name it - I saw it. It sickened me to see such a total disregard by individuals for nature.

But again - let me say what a wonderful area SoWal is. It is such a great place to vacation. I'm already counting down to next June! :clap_1:
 
Thanks for the report!! I love to hear of others experiences and it makes me feel like I've been there. That is so awesome that you saw a turtle and dolphins almost every day! I have no idea why they swim that direction but I'm sure someone here might know. SJ???
 
Ocean Lover said:
Thanks for the report!! I love to hear of others experiences and it makes me feel like I've been there. That is so awesome that you saw a turtle and dolphins almost every day! I have no idea why they swim that direction but I'm sure someone here might know. SJ???
The Dolphin travel the world swimming only to the east. :floor:
 
Smiling JOe said:
The Dolphin travel the world swimming only to the east. :floor:

They read that book about going to Disney World and beating the crowds by always going to the east!

What a great beach blog...I really love hearing about y'alls trips!!! :clap_1:
 
Googled it, learned a lot of interesting things about our Dolphin friends, but nothing was mentioned about swimming east.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the water moving from east to west in this area???
 
Great trip report..can't wait to write mine.

I have seen the dolphins swimming both east and west...I think it depends on what kind of mood they are in. Let's see "should we visit the Redneck Riveria today, or perhaps the big city of Destin". :biggrin:
 
yippie said:
Googled it, learned a lot of interesting things about our Dolphin friends, but nothing was mentioned about swimming east.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the water moving from east to west in this area???
Sometimes the water moves from west to east. It all depends on the day, the winds, the tides, etc.
 
kathydwells said:
Great trip report..can't wait to write mine.

I have seen the dolphins swimming both east and west...I think it depends on what kind of mood they are in. Let's see "should we visit the Redneck Riveria today, or perhaps the big city of Destin". :biggrin:

Maybe they are swimming "left" or "right" depending on their politics. Of course the determination of which way they are swimming would depend on the person watching- are you looking left or right from shore, or towards shore, etc. This all could get very complicated.
 
jdarg said:
Maybe they are swimming "left" or "right" depending on their politics. Of course the determination of which way they are swimming would depend on the person watching- are you looking left or right from shore, or towards shore, etc. This all could get very complicated.

I just alway's hope they are there to greet us when we arrive. Sometimes we are very lucky and see them as soon as we get there. We alway's say of course that they were waiting for us!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top