• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Fat crabs

New posts
FYI - cocktail sauce is used to cover up the taste of bad seafood. With these Crabs, you don't need sauce, just a dash of Old Bay.
 
We'll be in Grayton Saturday. Would love to go crabbing on the bay. Skunkape - Do you use chicken necks and a crab net? Where can we crab on the bay? Yummy - blue crabs and cocktail sauce.:clap:

You can use chicken necks. I caught hardheads (catfish) and used them for bait. I crabbed off our dock, not sure about where else is a good public access spot...probably someplace off 331 I imagine, or maybe a quieter spot in Point Washington by the boat ramp.
 
Yes, you have to hear my giant gator head story. It was as big as JohnR's bus. No lie. I ain't kidding. Could have eaten a horse.:roll:

Really, it was pretty durn big. Anr the next day, some guy was flyfishing and standing in the water about 20 from where I saw the gigantic gator!
:yikes: Oh, lawd. I wanna know, but I don't.
 
FYI - cocktail sauce is used to cover up the taste of bad seafood. With these Crabs, you don't need sauce, just a dash of Old Bay.

Or garlic butter. Not heavy garlic, just a touch. If you can stand to take the time to dunk it before sticking it in your mouth, that is...:drool: :D
 
Thanks Skunkape. We'll find a place. Can't wait to crab and drink beer. What a way to spend a day. I used to crab down in Lafitte. Of course, this was probably before your time. Or maybe you were about 2.:rolling:
 
What are you using for bait in your traps? How long did it take you to catch a heap of crabs? I caught 1 monster yesterday and put him in a cooler full of bay water but he died. Can I freeze him and cook him once I have enough in my trap. I'm guessing I should have just left the monster in the trap but I didn't want them to eat each other if more were trapped also. Obviously I am a 1st time crabbing rookie.
 
Okay FlDawg. You need crab catching lessons. You drowned your crabs in da bay water. Just a little water to keep dem hydrated. No you cannot freeze dem. Once they are dead you have to throw dem out. Put some chicken necks in da net and drop it in da water. Wait 10 minutes and pick it up real quick. Drink lots of beer while you're doing this and you are sure to catch lots of crabs.:lolabove:
 
Bay water won't drown the crabs, but you probably suffocated the crab if you closed the lid on the cooler. They do need oxygenated water.

After catching them, you can clean them and freeze the crabs until you have enough to cook a meal. Note, they are best tasting when fresh, not frozen.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top