• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Favorite restaurants

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife, M.I.L. and myself will be down March 6 thru March 20. My mouth is watering anticipating some of my favorite places to eat. The first Weds. will be at Gravel Road which is my current favorite. Borago, Cafe Tango, the Terrace, Criolla, Cafe 30-A, Cafe Provence, D&K Cafe are all on my agenda !! I will also fit in Thomas' Donuts and Boars Head. And of course the Donut Hole. I will need to a wheel Barrow to get me around. I better stay off of the beach because someone may harpoon me thinking I am a beached Whale !! :floor:
 
There's apparently been an ownership change at Royal Orchid, and for now I'm not impressed. They're cheaping out on the veggies- my pad pak was mostly cabbage- and their sauces and spices have lost that complexity and spark that used to make their dishes so good.

It wasn't bad food by any means, but for us, they're no longer worth schlepping across the bridge for.
 
So Mr. Mouse is on spring break this week, and I'm currently in the process of job-hunting (long story there) and we decided to try out Gravel Road for lunch. We'll definitely be going back there. The very picky Mr. Mouse said they had some of the best sweet tea he had ever had. Food was excellent- they're using very good quality ingredients and know how to prepare them very well. And the mashed potatoes and veggies are a nice change for a side instead of yet another big heap of french fries.
 
Had a terrible lunch at Seagrove Market Cafe yesterday. I had a salad with grilled grouper -- salad wasn't crisp and grouper tasted wet. Hubby had a fried grouper sandwich that tasted frozen -- actually it had no taste. Disappointing.

We had planned to go to Borago for dinner, but after the Gators lost (:puke:), we were in no mood to go out. We got takeout pizza from Bruno's, and it was really good -- actually, it has been for the past few months. The crust no longer tastes like Bisquick, and the salads are always fresh.

BTW I still love Amor?, but that's a different genre of pizza.


Any good experiences here lately? We've always loved the Seagrove Market for grouper sandwiches. Maybe now that it's a busier time you would be less likely to get something that hasn't been frozen. :idontno:
 
Any good experiences here lately? We've always loved the Seagrove Market for grouper sandwiches. Maybe now that it's a busier time you would be less likely to get something that hasn't been frozen. :idontno:

On the day we left last Tuesday I had a wonderful fried grouper sandwich. It was very good and did not taste frozen to me at all!!!! Go try it!
 
Please give me the details of Royal Orchid and if you really know of the changes. It is my FAVORITE place to take out and I will be very disappointed if it has changed. Anyone know what's up??? I thought my last meal was a bit different now that you have mentioned it.
 
I was told the other day that Chapmans Restaurant north of the bay is reopening, Sharon Byrd whatshername and family have taken over. When the Chapmans had it years ago, they had the best seafood anywhere! I would like to see the Chapmans daughter go to work there, I really miss the food! I hope Sharon does well, I think she will. I think they are only open for dinner at the present.
 
New ownership of Royal Orchid. It's apparently a family that owns a large number of restaurants in these parts. Totally new staff. Old owners hung around for a while to allegedly teach the new staff how to cook Thai, but now the old ownership is gone, and the new people are cheaping out on the ingredients, I'm guessing to keep the margins high.

Mr. Mouse's curry was lacking the Thai basil it used to have in it that gave it a nice complexity to it. My pad pak was mostly cabbage, and the suace wasn't as good as it used to be either.

It's not horrible food, but it just isn't a star like it used to be. I've heard some good feedback about the little Thai takeaway place in the same strip mall as Tuesday Morning and Cancun's. Might be worth trying there instead.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top