• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Favorite restaurants

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Rice?
 
Sueshore said:
Got Rice?
Typically, I cook in a little rice, but rice in the Gumbo can leave it very starchy with a paste texture, especially if you cook enough to stretch out for a few days. Therefore, I cook rice separately, and place it in the serving bowl before pouring the Gumbo over the top. This clearly gives the Gumbo the best taste and texture.

I guess you now know why I moan and groan about "fast" food. I do resort to fast food when I am code Blue, but I always hate myself later.

Perhaps one day in the cooler season, I will cook up a 3 gallon batch and serve it up on the streets of Grayton. I think that would be really fun.
 
Last edited:
Smiling JOe said:
Technicaly speaking, mine is not Gumbo because I do not use okra to thicken. Instead I use a roux which gives a much richer flavor and does not present a slimey texture.

The key ingredient to gumbo is the roux, not okra. Okra is traditionally used in seafood gumbo, but not in chicken and andouille gumbo. So technically, your's is indeed a gumbo. :lol:
 
drsvelte said:
The key ingredient to gumbo is the roux, not okra. Okra is traditionally used in seafood gumbo, but not in chicken and andouille gumbo. So technically, your's is indeed a gumbo. :lol:
I never use a set recipe so mine varies each time, but I prefer fresh shrimp and andouille gumbo. I also make shrimp stock to use instead of water, so the shrimp is not covered up by the andouille. For the roux, I use maple flavored bacon grease instead of butter. I never said it was healthy Gumbo, just tasty. I cannot wait until winter!!

Drsvelte, your real name is not Gator is it?
 
Last edited:
Smiling JOe said:
I never use a set recipe so mine varies each time, but I prefer fresh shrimp and andouille gumbo. I also make shrimp stock to use instead of water, so the shrimp is not covered up by the andouille. For the roux, I use maple flavored bacon grease instead of butter. I never said it was healthy Gumbo, just tasty. I cannot wait until winter!!

Drsvelte, your real name is not Gator is it?


Cook it and they will come...how about October?

Drsvelte...I think this person is a diet doctor! Or maybe a whiz at liposuction!
 
This thread went from fav restaurants to "Fun people getting together to eat SJ's famous gumbo in the dreary month of October!' I'll bring the rice!
 
Sueshore said:
Drsvelte...I think this person is a diet doctor! Or maybe a whiz at liposuction!

Doctor, yes (PhD actually). But the svelte part comes from a long time ago obsession with triathlon which resulted in big weight loss and low body fat. Friends ( :blink: ) began calling me Dr. Svelte and I just used it as a internet username. Alas, I am a foodie at heart and the training and diet discipline slowly eroded over the years. Regrettably, I am now dr(notso)svelte. :(

We'll be here for some weekends in October. I can bring real Louisiana andouille for the pot :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top