• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

finally!

New posts
SJ is not kidding. This guy is hungry and horny, or pregnant, or all of the above.


060517-topsail-350.jpg
 
Cork On the Ocean said:
And the NASTY Yellow flies started the other day! I hate those guys! Don't forget the military planes chasing the UFO's the other night!
speaking of military, did you guys feel the three big bombs that went off this morning in Eglin? They were huge and shook my house more than Hurricane Katrina winds did.
 
These horrid dog flies we were bothered by last year. I was told I think they come in when the winds are out of the north or something! Out of the five years we have been coming to the beach, we had never had any problems with them until last year. And you are right, we bought some sunscreen with deet and some repel with deet and none of it kept them off of us on the beach. What will? Hate them! Found a pic of a deer fly! These are the same as what we call May flies. And they do bite hard!
 
ladydebubba60 said:
These horrid dog flies we were bothered by last year. I was told I think they come in when the winds are out of the north or something! Out of the five years we have been coming to the beach, we had never had any problems with them until last year. But what do these deer flies look like? And you are right, we bought some sunscreen with deet and some repel with deet and none of it kept them off of us on the beach. What will? Hate them!

chrysops_unknown_adult_dorsal_m_01.jpg


Deer Fly


Smilie J's Bug Juice works well at repelling Mosquitos, Deer Flies, and Yellow Flies, but I have not taken it to market just yet.
 
So that is an actual May fly. Whatever that weird fly is we find up here and at my mother in law's in the country looks like a stealth bomber as to its wings and bites the heck out of you. And they are only seen in May, that is why we refer to them as May flies. Couldn't actually tell you what they are. That May fly looks gross! Wouldn't want that on me! Thanks Smiling Joe.
 
Cork On the Ocean said:
And the NASTY Yellow flies started the other day! I hate those guys! Don't forget the military planes chasing the UFO's the other night!

The first time I got bit by a yellow fly my foot swelled up so bad I could not put on my tennis shoe and barely my Birkenstocks - extended to the last buckle. However, I have not had a bite swell that bad since then. It's almost like I gain more immunity every year. Or maybe it is all in my head. Probably the latter.

AND Reece - I hope you enjoy your trip! See ya around!
 
ok well, i hope those flies take a hike before tomorrow. we've been coming in may for 4 years and never had a fly problem. we came last year in august and it was terrible. i assumed, incorrectly i guess, that they weren't out in may since we've never experienced them. guess we've just been lucky.
hopefully our luck hasn't run out :blink:

whatever - we'll have a great time.

sj - what's in the bug juice again ? vinegar? i remember a thread about it - it sounded quite smelly :)

reece
 
SJ ya know we love you! I see what you're sayin'...Reece, you're going to love your vacay in Sowal...it's SOWAL...gotta love it! We go in Jan/Feb...wish we could go in May...okay... in Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec (okay not Dec. because we'd miss Christmas with our children and grandbabies)...well, 11 out of 12 ain't bad!!! Have a GREAT VACATION IN SOWAL REECE! Keep us posted!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top