• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Firefighter Extrication Class Help Please!

New posts

Joshua Ellis

Beach Comber
As firefighters we train for every situation we can and one of the most crucial ones is vehicle accidents with victims entrapped. We use extrication equipment most commonly known as "the jaws of life" to basically peel the vehicle away from around the victim/s. Now for the part that I need help with. The auto industry is always changing with new metal alloys, safety systems and completely new concerns for firefighters. One of the biggest concerns right now for me is electric vehicles like the Tesla line, Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf. The industry is changing and these vehicles are amazing with what they offer the consumer but using our current extrication techniques we can get seriously injured or killed if we are not prepared. There are high voltage lines that run throughout these vehicles, along with other unique concerns, that could kill a firefighter trying to get a victim out. Firefighters from South Walton and throughout the panhandle are putting together a big training event on October 5th and 6th out in Navarre. The presentation and hands on training that I am in charge of is electric vehicles. I DO NOT WANT TO CUT UP YOUR ELECTRIC VEHICLE!!!! What I do need, ideally, is someone that owns a Tesla or other electric vehicle that is willing to display it at our training for those 2 days so that I can present all of the hazards and show them where our areas of concern are. We will not damage the vehicle in any way. I just don't want the first time our firefighters see one of these vehicles to be at 2am with victims inside. Please contact me, Joshua Ellis, if you have a Tesla or know someone that does and are willing to contribute to something that is very proactive and potentially life saving for us. If it sweetens the deal, we have several vehicles available that we can cut up and if you have ever wanted to cut a car apart we can make that happen for your contribution to our training. If I can't get a vehicle onsite then I could make a video walk through work and present that as an alternative so please contact me with anything that you might be willing to do to help. My phone number is 404-293-0736. Thank you!!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top