• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Fishing Gear for Eastern Lake

New posts

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
I'm planning on trying my luck on Eastern Lake and wondering if my ZEBCO Bass rod I use here in Texas will withstand anything I might land in Eastern Lake. I'm hoping not to have to invest in one of the heavy duty surf rods. Any advice or tips anyone can offer.

Thanks! T-2 days before paradise!
 
i've caught some freaking monsters (yellowfin, cobia, etc) on my good old medium ugly stick many many many times, it will bend double (or more!) but the 6' graphite pole hasn't snapped off at the reel holder yet (although the reel has snapped off its base and flew up to the first guide before!) - 20# line minimum and metal leaders or the big redfish will just swim away with your pinfish time after time
 
wintersbk said:
I'm planning on trying my luck on Eastern Lake and wondering if my ZEBCO Bass rod I use here in Texas will withstand anything I might land in Eastern Lake. I'm hoping not to have to invest in one of the heavy duty surf rods. Any advice or tips anyone can offer.

Thanks! T-2 days before paradise!
You should be fine with the Zebco.
 
What are you planning on using for bait? I am curious if AqBio or SJ have a preference-live vs artificial. We went redfishing in our local waters with weedless golden spoons and did well. Not sure what they like in SoWal :idontno:
 
It will be more productive with live bait. It's too hot to find any live bait shrimp but Seagrove Icehouse has live "mud minnows" which work really well for the trout and redfish. Pinfish are also great bait but generally a little large in size for your target fish in the lake. Sunrise and sunset are the best times. Please review size limits, buy a license, and consider catch-and-release as these lakes can only stand so much fishing pressure.

Oh, and the Zebco is probably perfect in size for lake fishing. Surf-fishing, well, perhaps something larger.
 
John said:
It will be more productive with live bait. It's too hot to find any live bait shrimp but Seagrove Icehouse has live "mud minnows" which work really well for the trout and redfish. Pinfish are also great bait but generally a little large in size for your target fish in the lake. Sunrise and sunset are the best times. Please review size limits, buy a license, and consider catch-and-release as these lakes can only stand so much fishing pressure.

Oh, and the Zebco is probably perfect in size for lake fishing. Surf-fishing, well, perhaps something larger.

Great advice. I try to live by the old Boy Scout philosophy of 'taking nothing but pictures and leaving nothing but footprints'.
 
A good 6 or 7 foot rod with 6-10lb test ought to be fine. There's some trout and some decent reds but I can't get them reds to play nice. But I go with artificial baits. Good luck.
 
You know its odd, I've fished the emerald coast area a long time and never had much luck w/artificials around the bays, ditch and surrounding tidal lakes...Lord knows I've tried....Always had to downshift to live or cut bait...Now I can head into the Bend or further south and get larger, harder species on spoons/plastics but when i'm between destin and pc I leave the tackle box @ the house...I take 1/2 dozen bait hooks and egg sinkers...I wonder why that is?...Red

Never been to Seagrove Icehouse...certainly didn't know they had live bait...what do they generally stock?...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top