• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

fishing guides launching from beach

New posts

bankei1974

Beach Comber
As someone who has been a lurker on this web page and as someone who spends on average three weeks of vacation time per year in grayton, I thought I should post a quick thought on just returning. When I came out to the beach every morning last week (6/4-6/11) it was very discouraging to see between eight and ten trucks with trailers out on the beach taking up the prime beach spots for us tourist. In the past the one or two trucks that tend to be out were not that much of a bother, there were many more this week and if this trend continues it will push us tourist off of the beaches. I just want to see what the board thought about this.
 
bankei1974 said:
As someone who has been a lurker on this web page and as someone who spends on average three weeks of vacation time per year in grayton, I thought I should post a quick thought on just returning. When I came out to the beach every morning last week (6/4-6/11) it was very discouraging to see between eight and ten trucks with trailers out on the beach taking up the prime beach spots for us tourist. In the past the one or two trucks that tend to be out were not that much of a bother, there were many more this week and if this trend continues it will push us tourist off of the beaches. I just want to see what the board thought about this.

Grayton Beach is one of the few that allow vehicles on their beach. You might consider trying another beach community next time (i.e., Seaside, Seagrove, Seacrest, etc) No vehicles allowed there.
 
bankei1974 said:
As someone who has been a lurker on this web page and as someone who spends on average three weeks of vacation time per year in grayton, I thought I should post a quick thought on just returning. When I came out to the beach every morning last week (6/4-6/11) it was very discouraging to see between eight and ten trucks with trailers out on the beach taking up the prime beach spots for us tourist. In the past the one or two trucks that tend to be out were not that much of a bother, there were many more this week and if this trend continues it will push us tourist off of the beaches. I just want to see what the board thought about this.

I can understand why you are aggravated, but this is June, and that is the busy season. The state park is always available, no trucks-hows that for a win-win? :cool:
 
30A Skunkape said:
I can understand why you are aggravated, but this is June, and that is the busy season. The state park is always available, no trucks-hows that for a win-win? :cool:
Ditto, walk 100 meters from Grayton onto the State Park beaches in either direction and you will be away from everything and everyone.
;-)
 
I think that you are missing the point. Property owners have every right in my opinion to drive their car onto the beach. Fishing guide who do this for profit should not be allowed to monopolize beach space to make a profit. would the sheriff run me off of the beach if I sat up a hut on the beach and sold stuff I made, I think so. People who do this for profit should move their vehicles off or away from the shore while fishing. I am very aware of the ordinances of your county and I think this should be addressed. what will you do when there are thirty trucks and trailers out on the beach and no beach space for six or seven hundred yard? Will you go to the state park?
 
bankei1974 said:
I think that you are missing the point. Property owners have every right in my opinion to drive their car onto the beach. Fishing guide who do this for profit should not be allowed to monopolize beach space to make a profit. would the sheriff run me off of the beach if I sat up a hut on the beach and sold stuff I made, I think so. People who do this for profit should move their vehicles off or away from the shore while fishing. I am very aware of the ordinances of your county and I think this should be addressed. what will you do when there are thirty trucks and trailers out on the beach and no beach space for six or seven hundred yard? Will you go to the state park?
The guides are not vending on the beach. They are not even acting as a guide on the beach. I think your direction is a little off target.

The reason that the guides park where they do is so that they can get their boat out when they come in. There are limited places on Grayton where, by nature, they can put in and take out. If they didn't park where they do, no one would move out of their way when it came time to get the boat out. I have seen this happen last year.

I almost forgot, these guides do have licenses to be a guide. ;-)
 
bankei1974 said:
Change my analogy a little and make in ten people on the beach in huts selling their stuff.
I think you would have more space on the beach to enjoy the view if you could get all the people to remove their empty perma-tents, chairs, and toys from the beach when not in use, which is probably 20 hours out of any given day. :D
 
my analogy is still correct, their vehicles occupy space on the beach for profit. And how many guides would have to occupy beach space before you became annoyed?
 
bankei1974 said:
Change my analogy a little and make in ten people on the beach in huts selling their stuff.

Sounds like funn...kind of like Key West's Mallory Square at sunset :razz:

Only kidding, of course. I now understand the point. Not being too familiar with Grayton Beach (we hang out in the Seagrove area) I didn't realize there were that many guides out there doing business on the beach. I can certainly understand your frustration. I enjoy the solitude of Seagrove beach; I'd hate it if vendors suddenly began taking up precious beach space and messing up the beautiful view.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top