• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Fishing Questions

New posts

apsies

Beach Comber
Hey beautiful SoWal people! We are visiting the area for the first time in about three weeks. My Dad loves to fish. I was hoping you lovely people could help with a little info on the subject.

1- Given that the safe flags are flying and we can go into the water, how is the surf fishing? I know he's heard from a few people about Cobia around that time. He's used to snook fishing in Sanibel, but I think he's excited about trying his hand at something new.

2- I know that my Dad and brother want to go out on a boat sometime while we're there. Are there many options in SoWal and if you recommend the ride over to somewhere else for one, Destin or PCB?

3- Where is the best place to pick up bait and licenses? And any specific recommendations on types of bait?

4- Where are the best piers? We are okay with a bit of drive but would like to go to the piers a few evenings.

Thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate any advice!
 
Last edited:
Hey beautiful SoWal people! We are visiting the area for the first time in about three weeks. My Dad loves to fish. I was hoping you lovely people could help with a little info on the subject.

1- Given that the safe flags are flying and we can go into the water, how is the surf fishing? I know he's heard from a few people about Cobia around that time. He's used to snook fishing in Sanibel, but I think he's excited about trying his hand at something new.

I don't surf fish, but I hear it is OK, and lord knows people are out right now.

2- I know that my Dad and brother want to go out on a boat sometime while we're there. Are there many options in SoWal and if you recommend the ride over to somewhere else for one, Destin or PCB?

Dead Fish Charters, Capt. Larry Pentel in Grayton Beach...launches right off the sand:clap_1:

3- Where is the best place to pick up bait and licenses? And any specific recommendations on types of bait?
Get your license before you come, google the Florida game and fish website and you can get a visitor's license immediatly! 4-
Where are the best piers? We are okay with a bit of drive but would like to go to the piers a few evenings.
If you are staying in SOWAL, why not try your luck fishing in the bay anywhere of HWY331?:cool:

Thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate any advice!



GOOD LUCK!
 
Surf fishin is good. Caught 1 small mackeral and the smallest flounder ever. Pomps are their but I go with spoons,lures and jigs so my odds are down compare to those that use fleas or shrimp. Might be time for fly rods now that the wind is down.
 
Anyone know why there have been so many fishing boats out on the gulf from 30-A recently (mid-April)? I always thought that they launched from Destin and PC, and didn't come this far over.

Is it weather related, better fishing, or are boats launching closer now?

Thanks!
 
Anyone know why there have been so many fishing boats out on the gulf from 30-A recently (mid-April)? I always thought that they launched from Destin and PC, and didn't come this far over.

Is it weather related, better fishing, or are boats launching closer now?

Thanks!


Cobia's running!!!
 
Don't most of the Destin boats end up in SOWAL area anyway? I want to go cobia fishing very badly. :D

Cheers.
 
I recommend that your dad visit us when he arrives. We can assist him with any fishing info or supplies that he may need, from surf fishing to blue water charters.

Our main location is in Seagrove, next to the old Wheelhouse Restaurant (half-mile east of Seaside). We also have a small space inside the Grayton General Store.

Thank you.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top