• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Florida in Winter

New posts

aquaticbiology

fishlips
What do you guys do during the winter for fun? I've lived there and it was cold a lot more than it was warm, plus I had to work 24-7 so I had no life while I was there - but now that I have some off time, and I'm not that far away, what's to do there in the dead of winter. Surely its more than mere existing and awaiting spring?
 
aquaticbiology said:
What do you guys do during the winter for fun? I've lived there and it was cold a lot more than it was warm, plus I had to work 24-7 so I had no life while I was there - but now that I have some off time, and I'm not that far away, what's to do there in the dead of winter. Surely its more than mere existing and awaiting spring?

Most of the time Nov - Feb we have many very nice days. Sweater weather warming sometimes to short sleeves. November and December usually are not bad at all. Just chilly in the morning and nights. Today is an example of a perfect day. It will probably get to around 80 today, starting out crisp and cool.

I've caught Pompano in late December wearing nothing but shorts (me, not the Pomps).

I like to walk the beaches and parks even when it is cold. The only time it's not fun is if there is a stiff north wind.
 
aquaticbiology said:
What do you guys do during the winter for fun? I've lived there and it was cold a lot more than it was warm, plus I had to work 24-7 so I had no life while I was there - but now that I have some off time, and I'm not that far away, what's to do there in the dead of winter. Surely its more than mere existing and awaiting spring?

This is my 11 year for going to Seagrove Beach from the middle of Nov. to late March. If you golf, get a 10 round pass at Hombre or golf at Wind Swept or Sunny Hills. If you want to meet some people, go to Martini night at 30A restaurant Tuesdays and Thursday--$5 drinks. Their bar menu and the winter menu is great plus a reasonable price. All the restaurants are less crowded than in the summer time. Don't forget about walking the beach. The weather is cooler than the summer time but the only cold days is when the northern U.S. has those days in the 20's.
 
We've been lucky with warm weather in November, January, and February. Warm enough to relax at the beach with shorts (kids will sometimes wear bathing suits but they're northern kids and wear flip flops and shorts when the weather hits about 45 or 50). Our coldest time there was during a little cold snap during a few days in April 2004. Since the mornings are cooler during those months, I like to wait until around noon then take a book down to the beach close to the water and read for a while. In the summer, I do that early in the morning with a cup of tea before the rest of the family wakes up. Soooo relaxing. And, of course, sunsets on the beach are great any time of the year. We go there to relax complete so we're usually not looking for things to do other than see family, friends, beach, relax on the porch, and go out to eat a bit. Kids like to ride bikes.

I'll soon start going for long walks on the beach or along the bike path. I also plan to start walking through some of the communities like Rosemary Beach, Seacrest, and Seaside and explore more (and Alys Beach, too, once it's more built up). Haven't been to places like Eden yet either.
 
1. Take the dog to the beach. The dog police are not driving around
when it's raining down there. But take your pooper bags along.

2. Spend an afternoon in the little historic library in DeFuniak Springs
after having lunch at The Busy Bee Cafe downtown.

3. Read a book and take a nap...or whatever else :wub: .

4. Walk down to the General Store for a NY Times and capaccino or
to Starbucks for same.

5. Buy a stack of magazines and go visiting at the hospital.

6. Do a triple-header at Raven cinemas, with popcorn and lemonade
or one of those revolting tube steaks. (Who dies from one time???)

7. Write a short story about your favorite day on the beach. Put it in a
place where you'll find it years from now.

8. Pick up stuff from the beach and make a collage with a glue gun.

9. Sit on the porch or deck in a rocker, wrapped in a blanket and with
a big mug of something hot and slightly alcoholic.

10. Visit your virtual friends on www.graytonbeach.com!
 
We like to sit on the sofa and watch college football or basketball or DVDs while enjoying the view of the Gulf. We like to put on sweatshirts and walk on the beach. We like to crank up the hot tub to 100 degrees and boil in it. We like eating fresh seafood at the great restaurants in the area, as well as cooking it at home. And the sunsets ...

Love it!
 
Train for marathons and half marathons. Also run some of the local 5K races. It's really good running weather from about October to April.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top