• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Flowers

New posts

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
I have noticed in Kurt's pictures beautiful flowers blooming. What type of flowers are they? When do they bloom? I would like to see it when it happens.
 
iwishiwasthere said:
I have noticed in Kurt's pictures beautiful flowers blooming. What type of flowers are they? When do they bloom? I would like to see it when it happens.
Perhaps you could point us to some particular photos, and we can give you the 4-1-1.;-)
 
Probably the yellow wildflowers?

We get a flush of wildflowers in the Spring and Fall. They are one of the best things about the area. It is sad that the road construction, along with the planting of grass sod is doing away with the roadside attractions.

There are still a lot of them, especially in the State forest, but I don't understand removing one of the most beautiful features of SoWal in favor of non-native grass that requires mowing. :roll:
 
On page 4 DSCN6532

When do the lupines bloom and will they still be there after the beach destruction? I was planning a trip the first of March and now wonder if it will be too soon to see that beautiful site. I like to come down when the crowds aren't there.

Kurt, you are so right about planting stuff that needs to be mowed instead of leaving the natural beauty in place. When will humans realize they cannot replicate what God creates. That simple elegance is what pulls me to the area. While it is funn, it vistas are hard to beat.
 
iwishiwasthere said:
On page 4 DSCN6532

When do the lupines bloom and will they still be there after the beach destruction? I was planning a trip the first of March and now wonder if it will be too soon to see that beautiful site. I like to come down when the crowds aren't there.

Kurt, you are so right about planting stuff that needs to be mowed instead of leaving the natural beauty in place. When will humans realize they cannot replicate what God creates. That simple elegance is what pulls me to the area. While it is funn, it vistas are hard to beat.
Can you link me to that page? I have no idea where to find it.

You and Kurt are correct. They just ruined the right of ways on Hwy 283 and 395 by adding sod to cover the dirt. They added the bike paths and have to prevent soil erosion, and sod must be the easiest/ cheapest thing because that is what they use. Not only does it take away nature's own doing, but it also cost much more money in the way of man hours, equipment & fuel costs. Plus, it adds even more polution in the way of operating the equipment. :bang:

FYI- Blue Mtn Beach derived its name from the Sky-Blue Lupine that once blanketed the area. From the Sea, it looked like a Blue beach. That is the story anyway, so development has pretty much killed that whole thing. You can still see Sky-Blue Lupine in the area and it blooms beginning around Mar through June in this area.
 
Last edited:
Not to computer savvy, but it is on Kurt's stock photo section....the fourth page...may it work.(where is the cross your fingers smiley??)

Thanks for the info about the lupines....is it just in the Blue Mountain area or the entire 30A that has lupines blooming? I can only hope for an early spring. I can only imagine the beauty years ago when the area was less developed. Thanks for the history lesson...that is my favorite part of this board, learning about the place I do so love. :wub:
 
Mostly the whole area has Lupine. Development is causing it to become scarcer. The area in the photo has been washed away by storms.

lupine.jpg



This photo you mentioned below is some type of Goldenrod I believe, in the Point Washington State Forest.

DSCN6532.jpg
 
kurt said:
We get a flush of wildflowers in the Spring and Fall. They are one of the best things about the area. It is sad that the road construction, along with the planting of grass sod is doing away with the roadside attractions.
I don't understand removing one of the most beautiful features of SoWal in favor of non-native grass that requires mowing. :roll:

This Spring instead of the usual wildflowers I think our roadsides and medians will sprout colorful stands of "For Sale" signs and "Open House" signs and balloons.
 
SHELLY said:
This Spring instead of the usual wildflowers I think our roadsides and medians will sprout colorful stands of "For Sale" signs and "Open House" signs and balloons.

When I saw you had posted on this subject, I hoped really hard that you were a fan of flowers, but my first guess was correct. :(
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top