• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Flu Shot Reminder!

New posts
Thanks for the info...Is flu mist considered a live virus? I am supposed to stay away from those who have had a live virus vaccine. If it isn't I will absolutely give it to my kiddo's--appt. is 10/13.
The nasal mist is a live, weakened, virus. Your kids should be older than 2 years to get it. You will need to roll up your sleeve. By the way, have you gotten your pneumovax yet?
 
We've never gotten a flu shot. Guess I'm of the belief that it won't cover all the strains so what's the use. We've been pretty lucky in our household, too.

There are about 30-40,000 deaths per year in the USA attributed to influenza infection. Our immune systems begin to wane after age 30. That is the use!:wave:
 
Both my kids have gotten the flu in Feb or March after having the flu shot in early October. My doctor did say the shot was most effective the 2 months following the shot and then it weakens after that. I'm not sure if they had a different strain or just that it was weakened by then. I do wait now until the end of November just in case. The height of flu season is usually February here.

Dylan takes Flumist but Sam has asthma and it's not recommended so she takes the shot.

This does remind me that Sam needs the second dose of the Gardisil vaccine.
 
I'm considering the shot now.

I have also heard that most people who say they've had the flu, it's really not the flu because a true case makes you feel like you either want to die or already feel like you are on your death bed.

I've been sick, had strep throat as an adult w/ 103 temp, had to go to the ER, but I still don't think I've ever had a true case of the flu. I don't ever want to either.
 
I would get it while it is available. There have been shortages here and there in the recent past that had everyone scrambling to find one, and some not finding flu shots at all.

Of course if you have issues that might determine when/if/how you should get a flu shot, consult your doctor first, not other sources of info.

My rationale? Two kids with some asthma/allergy issues. The flu would be hard on them- why take the chance of putting them through that? As for me and Bdarg, like we really have the time or luxury of being in bed for 2 weeks! :lol: Plus I don't want my family being germ spreaders.:wave:
 
I wait a little while (so that I am not taking up a shot from people who need it more if there is a limited supply) then always go get one!

One of the easiest ways to keep yourself healthy!
 
Sacred Heart will be giving both Flu Shots ($25) and Flu Mist ($35) at Good News United Methodist Church on Monday.
 
I'm considering the shot now.

I have also heard that most people who say they've had the flu, it's really not the flu because a true case makes you feel like you either want to die or already feel like you are on your death bed.

I've been sick, had strep throat as an adult w/ 103 temp, had to go to the ER, but I still don't think I've ever had a true case of the flu. I don't ever want to either.

Trust me you would know if you have ever had it. I begged my family to end it all for me, it was THAT bad. I will never be without a flu shot again!
 
The nasal mist is a live, weakened, virus. Your kids should be older than 2 years to get it. You will need to roll up your sleeve. By the way, have you gotten your pneumovax yet?

Thanks for that info! I confirmed w/ my onc today and my kids can't have the flumist and me be around them. They will be sad. What is the pneumovax? for pneumonia? I haven't had it, tell me more. Do I need to because I am imunosuppresed? (sp)
 
I would get it while it is available. There have been shortages here and there in the recent past that had everyone scrambling to find one, and some not finding flu shots at all.

Of course if you have issues that might determine when/if/how you should get a flu shot, consult your doctor first, not other sources of info.

My rationale? Two kids with some asthma/allergy issues. The flu would be hard on them- why take the chance of putting them through that? As for me and Bdarg, like we really have the time or luxury of being in bed for 2 weeks! :lol: Plus I don't want my family being germ spreaders.:wave:

Good mom! My allergy/asthma doctor has told me that because of my allergies and asthma I should get it even if it means shoving an old lady out of line at gunpoint...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top