• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Food storage

New posts

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
If you have something in the freezer for two years, how would you know, other than looks, if it was fit for human consumption?
 
Feed it to someone you don't like and take notes! :rofl:

Seriously I think you aren't supposed to freeze items more than 6 months and you should check for any signs of thawing/refreezing, breaks in the packaging/wrapping, and freezer burn.
 
Feed it to someone you don't like and take notes! :rofl:

Seriously I think you aren't supposed to freeze items more than 6 months and you should check for any signs of thawing/refreezing, breaks in the packaging/wrapping, and freezer burn.

I kind of think that is what happened. But if there are not visible signs of damage, refreezing, things of that nature, should food be okay just sitting in a freezer for the long? If the freezer stayed cold then nothing should have grown on it. At least I would not think so. But to have something sitting around for that period of time is a bit scary to me, I know I throw old stuff away when I find it in my freezer.
 
Ummm if you date the package it takes the guess work out of the equation. :wub:


What guess work? I know the food was in the freezer for two years, I am trying to come to a conclusion as to if it would still be fit for human consumption.
 
What guess work? I know the food was in the freezer for two years, I am trying to come to a conclusion as to if it would still be fit for human consumption.

Whether it would kill you I don't know but freezer burn food is not tasty.
 
So does the food get 'burn' after a period of time. I ask this because I have never left anything in my freeze for that period of time.

Yes and it has a foul taste. My aging grandmother left food, mainly vegatables out of the garden, in the freezer for too long and believe me I can still remember the horrible taste. What is the food in queston not that it should really matter.
 
Yes and it has a foul taste. My aging grandmother left food, mainly vegatables out of the garden, in the freezer for too long and believe me I can still remember the horrible taste. What is the food in queston not that it should really matter.


Actually some chicken strips. Like tenders I guess.
 
freezer burn is evident in taste and depending on the food visual. meat will have gone from dark red to a chalky pink. safe to eat yes, palatable no. there will also be a good amount of ice crystals on the inside of the of wrapping, since freezer burn is actually the leeching of moisture from food. an age old adage in kitchens, 'when in doubt, throw it out'
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top