• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

For Oyster Lovers only!!!

New posts
Raw oysters we enjoy here are a very safe product any time of year. The state monitors the oyster beds and if there is a hint of a problem, they are closed. Additionally, the oystermen are religious about keeping the little bivalves on ice, so it is unlikely an oyster will spoil. And might I add, I would feel safer eating an oyster than say a rare hamburger or poorly washed lettuce...the fewer hands that touch a food product, the safer the food, and no shucker worth her salt handles anything but the shell.
 
Literally, an insane female; and though I do not mean to make light of her illness, consuming raw oysters in Mexico excluding exceptional circumstances is freaking NUTS.

Agree. I almost "died" from eating guacamole in Puerto Vallerta. You can call me la loca. I have not been back to Mexico since...and that was when sarafunn was eight months old!
 
A friend of my mom's died from eating bad oysters in Dothan, AL. He was in the hospital for several months before he finally died. Not a way to go. I would ask for a loaded gun.
 
Literally, an insane female; and though I do not mean to make light of her illness, consuming raw oysters in Mexico excluding exceptional circumstances is freaking NUTS.
Next thing you'll be telling us not to buy any pharmaceuticals from their drugstores!
:floor:
 
Agree. I almost "died" from eating guacamole in Puerto Vallerta. You can call me la loca. I have not been back to Mexico since...and that was when sarafunn was eight months old!

Why go back, they are coming to you:funn:
Confession here, I ate raw oysters in Mexico, but that was because I watched them being plucked from the Pacific in a very rural area about 2 hours south of Puerta Vallarta (no raw sewage). Also, the oysters never hit any poo-poo ice;they were removed from the cold, turbulent Pacific and then bopped open with a small hammer, then dunked in the ocean for good measure while in the shell. I have pics, and it was a once in a lifetime type deal, and this gringo survived. I also ate ceviche in a muy authentico bar in the closest town, which in retrospect wasn't too bright, but the fish was marinated in pepper and lime juices, and an Italian who moved to Mexico said it was safe to eat. Again, no problems:cool:
Oysters out of the Gulf of Mexico are an incredibly safe product and get an unwarranted bum rap for being dangerous. The fact is, most of the headline grabbing stories about people dying from oysters are cases involving people with smoldering hepatitis or immunodeficiency who had no business eating raw seafood in the first place. With that said, I would still be very selective about where I ate oysters anywhere more than an hour inland.
 
Next thing you'll be telling us not to buy any pharmaceuticals from their drugstores!
:floor:

Nah, it makes financial sense for some people. When I lived in Baton Rouge, they actually had these senior citizens that chartered busses for pharmacy runs to old Mexico, and they claimed they came out ahead in the wallet. Of course, one should only patronize a pharmacy of good repute as I have heard stories about phony meds being peddled.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top