Shelly, I believe you answered your own question in another thread. I attached the comment below. I believe it was bankers willing to write loans that should not have been written and I believe it was sellers (not necessarily just realtors) who sold property/homes to people knowing their world was going to crash on them eventually. The seller made their buck and to heck with the circumstances someone else would be dealing with later. I'm not trying to regulate other's conscience, but there were a good number of people who must have been keeping theirs in a jar under their bed while they conducted business deals.
You forgot to finish the story:
.....Loan Officer pulls credit, which shows a mortgage taken out in 2004 that now has a 60 day late on it and a past due balance of 2 full payments. There is a $450 car payment that began in 2006. There is another car payment of around $550 taken out 4 months earlier. Credit score is around 540.
Loan Officer: Congratulations, sign here, here, here and here, initial here and here....here's your check.
(Afterall, how else did these "deadbeats" get their hands on the money in the first place?)