• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

four lane for Chat Holley Rd.

New posts

swantree

Beach Fanatic
has anyone heard about this and have any info to put out there? Opinions? i was told that it was to give relief of 331 and 98 west bound. Seems like a drastic measure put on the blue collar district of Sowal.
 
The County Commissioners voted to do nothing with the study results. There was too much opposition to extending the roads, with estimated costs of more than $30 million. Comm. Meadows suggested that there were much better ways to spend taxpayer's money than on such a project at this time. That meeting was probably back around Aug '05. Just last week, I threw away the over-sized map marking the 4 potential routes.
 
i was just reviving this thread....i Know SJ has said it was canned but i've been hearing rumors again...I know of one land owner that is looking to make North Eden a cut through to 98 ....I guess my logic is will it be safe for bikes and pedestrians and how could north 98ers get to the beach safely and not drive?
 
I know what you intend by your word choice, but I want to clarify. The expansions weren't "canned." The decision by the BCC was to take no action at that time with the expensive study, due to many commissioners and the majority of the public thinking that there were better ways to spend the massive amounts of money it would cost. One thing in particular which was mentioned is the fact that having relief from hwy 98 in hurricane evacuation does nothing if the traffic turns into one northbound lane at the Clyde Wells Bridge, crossing the Choctawhatchee Bay. So, after the Bridge is expanded, they might pull this study back off the shelf, but for now, they are supposedly doing nothing with the studies for additional roads. As I recall, in that study, there was no suggestions for more cut throughs from 98 to Chat Holly. There was however, talk of a cut through from East Mack Bayou to Hwy 98, but I think that was not included in this particular study.
 
The thought of putting a four-lane road, combined with the large number of children living directly on and in close proximity to Chat Holley (and for that matter, West and East Point Washington Rd), scares the bejezzus out of me. If 98 hadn't been four-laned, then yeah. But except for when there is an accident or construction, we don't experience congestion on 98 now, until you get to around Grand Boulevard.
 
i was just reviving this thread....i Know SJ has said it was canned but i've been hearing rumors again...I know of one land owner that is looking to make North Eden a cut through to 98 ....I guess my logic is will it be safe for bikes and pedestrians and how could north 98ers get to the beach safely and not drive?

It depends on where you are and how brave. I bicycle to the beach. I have to ride on Hwy 98 to get to either the west end of 30A or Thompson Road. I've used 393 a few times, but it is pretty scary going south - a good deal of traffic and uphill. Once you get to the top of the ridge, there is a bike path. Coming back north, at least it is mostly downhill once the path ends.

Last week I rode down to 83 because I remembered seeing a bike path on it from the 30A end. Unfortunately, it only goes for a couple of blocks. Most of 83 doesn't have one. There isn't too much traffic on it, but someone passed me while cars were coming from the other direction - coincidentally, right beside a "Share the Road" sign. Also, it does involve riding on Hwy 98 in the 65 mph zone a short way.

East of Hwy 331, I've only ridden on bikepaths and through developments.
 
It's been a couple years since I lived on Chat Holley, but I never saw enough traffic to justify four lanes. Repaving is overdue, four lanes seems excessive unless it's part of a long term plan for expansion and evacuation. Pretty silly IMO to four lane a road when it's connectors aren't even paved!
 
393, all the way from 30A to the Bay, including the dirt road part, is on the books to be approved as Scenic Corridor. Getting the designation means getting funds and grants to build sidewalks and multi-use paths.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top