• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Fresh or Frozen?

New posts
What exactly do you put in your brining solution? I have never done it but would like to try it this year. Also, how long does a 10-12lb turkey need to brine?????
 
What exactly do you put in your brining solution? I have never done it but would like to try it this year. Also, how long does a 10-12lb turkey need to brine?????


soozie: please see posts 39 and 42 above, for links to recipes that should tell you all you need to know. It's pretty simple. a 10-12 lb turkey needs to soak in about 2 gall water, 2 cups table salt (or 4 c kosher salt) for 4-6 hours...
 
Toots- I want to brine the bird too- but I have a refrigerator space concern- what do you do?

my thoughts exactly!

use a BF cooler (no ice)...

I likey this plan.

my thoughs exactly.

a few brined roast turkey recipes.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/printrecipe.asp?recipeids=1920

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/printrecipe.asp?recipeids=786


I haven't tried this one by Emeril, but would like to - the brining water includes salt and brown sugar, organge, lemon and herbs... sounds so good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda...OOD_9936_17081_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

no, the turkey will stay cool enough in the cold water, inside the cooler, without ice. but, you can certainly add some ice or ice packs. why not?

Thanks, Toots!! I think I may try the Emeril one. He says you can even put it in a garbage bag.

My thoughts exactly!
 
no, the turkey will stay cool enough in the cold water, inside the cooler, without ice. but, you can certainly add some ice or ice packs. why not?


Merman was listening to The Splendid Table on NPR and they had a segment on stories from the Turkey Hotline and he told me one of them. Evidently there was one guy out there who stuck his turkey not in a cooler, but a washing machine! Everything was honky-dory until his roommate came along and tossed some detergent in the machine.

I asked Merman how such a thing could happen but he couldn't understand how it wouldn't happen. It seemed perfectly logical to him that detergent would end up in a washing machine. Hello! This is why Merman is never allowed near food unless it comes to him cooked and on a plate...:lol:
 
We picked up a fresh free range organic yada yada turkey from Fresh Market in Tallahassee. I brined the turkey for the first time last year and that's what I am going to do from now on. We use a cooler, and a revised version of Alton Brown's brining recipe.
I've already made the cranberry sauce and baked an apple pie, with pumpkin pie going into the oven this afternoon. Whew.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top