• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Gas installation

New posts

Alyoopster

Beach Lover
I am interested in purchasing a home in the area that does not have a gas supply. I enjoy cooking very much and really hate to use an electric stove.

Does anyone have any information on the steps of having a gas line or tank installed. I haven't a clue on who does it, what is cost, required permits, etc????
 
If you're on 30A I don't believe tanks are allowed anymore and there is gas. The local gas service is provided by Okaloosa Gas, the middle of the screen is the start point you'll want.
 
If you're on 30A I don't believe tanks are allowed anymore and there is gas. The local gas service is provided by Okaloosa Gas, the middle of the screen is the start point you'll want.

Hang on for a wild ride if you put your faith in Okaloosa Gas. IMO, their past service has screwed up a building schedule with 100% precision.
 
Gas is SO much better for cooking!

The first step is to check if gas is available in your area - I would ask your new neighbors if they have gas (don't take the realtor's word for it) or call Okaloosa Gas.

If gas is available, but not close by, you may have to pay to connect to a line.
 
If piped natural gas is unavailable, you can do what I did. Get a propane tank and a stove to match. I really like it, and the big tank lasts a long, long time. Call Dowdle Gas in DeFuniak. They run the route in SoWal once a week, and they also sell appliances. They will do the whole thing for you, tank set up, install the stove and run the line from the tank to the stove.
Bonus: You can still cook when the power is out, like after a hurricane.

PS I haven't heard anything about them not being allowed anymore. :idontno:
 
I am interested in purchasing a home in the area that does not have a gas supply. I enjoy cooking very much and really hate to use an electric stove.

Does anyone have any information on the steps of having a gas line or tank installed. I haven't a clue on who does it, what is cost, required permits, etc????


Seabreeze neighborhood does not have gas available on interior streets but people do have propane tanks for supply. Neighborhood fronts 30-a where I guess gas is available.
 
If piped natural gas is unavailable, you can do what I did. Get a propane tank and a stove to match. I really like it, and the big tank lasts a long, long time. Call Dowdle Gas in DeFuniak. They run the route in SoWal once a week, and they also sell appliances. They will do the whole thing for you, tank set up, install the stove and run the line from the tank to the stove.
Bonus: You can still cook when the power is out, like after a hurricane.

PS I haven't heard anything about them not being allowed anymore. :idontno:


this sounds expensive?? do you mind sharing a round about cost?

THANK YOU ALL for your advice and recommendations.
 
It's been quite a while since I did this, but it was not expensive (or it would not have been my choice, LOL.) Call Dowdle and ask - their charges may well have changed. But the tank rental is around $50 a year, and a tank full of gas lasts about a year, a couple hundred or less to fill it up, depending on gas prices. It used to be they would come and set the tank in your yard for free as long as you paid the years rent and filled it up. As to running a line to the stove, that is not a big deal unless it's really hard to get to the stove from the outside. If the house has a crawl space, it ought to be pretty simple, mine was. Propane stoves are just basically the same cost as natural gas stoves. Some of the internal fittings are different, but other than that, they look, and cook, just the same as natural gas stoves. You can pay a lot for fancy or not much for basic. Hope this helps.
 
My understanding was that in ground tanks were no longer allowed. That means in most newer neighborhoods you wouldn't be able to have the tank. i.e. Seacrest I'm sure wouldn't allow you to have a tank next to your carriage house.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top