• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Golf Cart rental

New posts
Here is the skinny from the Casselberry Police Dept in FL. I am uncertain if it applies to all of FL or just Casselberry, FL. Look under "Low Speed Vehicles" for the requirements. In this brochure, it appears that the vehicles are required to be "registered," but I see nothing about them being licensed. This is the only page on the net which I can find regarding low speed vehicles in FL. I would think that the laws would be state laws, and after checking the local ordinances for WalCo, I see nothing regarding low speed vehicles.
 
Smiling Joe,

I believe you are incorrect. LSVs have to be built from the ground up with a beefed up chassis that meets a certain level of crash resistance, impact resistant bumpers, high quality brakes, and a substantial steering system to be used on the road. They must be capable of going 25mph and no faster. They must also have a safety glass windshield, windshield wipers, headlights, turn signals, brake lights, back-up lights, and seat belts for all passengers. Based on the tough federal specs for low speed vehicles, it would be highly impractical if not impossible to try to turn a golf cart into a LSV.

I have a "Think Neighbor" LSV that was sold by Ford for only 10 months in 2002 before they left the business. The main LSV sold today is made by G.E.M., several of which you can see around Seaside and with the sales people at Alys Beach. It has a funny sort of nose in front. The police at the Oklahoosa airport even have G.E.M. LSV police vehicles.

In the year and a half since I have mine, I have put on more than 1200 miles driving between Alys Beach and Shades at the Loop and around the developments in between. Rosemary prohibits golf carts but that doesn't apply to licensed LSVs. I have a Walton County license plate on my LSV and so I can drive it on any road that has a speed limit of 35mph or less. Range is about 30 miles between charges. Auto insurance for it costs $282 per year. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed using it and it makes it very handy to get around our communities.

Bernster
 
There is a Federal specification for LSVs - NHTSA Standard 500. It states that LSVs include vehicles that can attain speeds greater than 20mph, but no greater than 25 mph. In addition to most of the items mentioned in the previous post, it requires a parking brake, reflective markers, and a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number in accordance with Federal specs).

Most golf carts cannot attain 15mph when tested in accordance with standard 500. Most golf courses do not allow speeds greater than 15 mph. Most LSVs have a golf course mode option where its onboard computer can limit speed to 15mph when it is driven on the golf course.

Hope this helps!
 
you can rent a GEM electric car in PCB, it is street legal... call the dealership, there is only one in this area that I know of-- and they should be able to hook you up.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top