• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Good gumbo?

New posts
Skunke, what is up with you not mixing seafood and beef? You don't eat steak and lobster, nor Shrimp and sausage gumbo. You are missing out. Sometimes sausage gumbo needs a bit of shrimp for flavor.
 
Skunke, what is up with you not mixing seafood and beef? You don't eat steak and lobster, nor Shrimp and sausage gumbo. You are missing out. Sometimes sausage gumbo needs a bit of shrimp for flavor.
The purist is right! A seafood gumbo can have a bit of andouille or tasso, for balance, but seafood is seafood and meats is meats and never the twain should meet. And I am unanimous in this decision.:cool:
 
Hurricane Oyster Bar and Stinky's is the best Gunbo on 30A. (Restaurant that is). Hurricane's placed 3rd this year in the gumbo cook-off, but was the only seafood entry to place, the other two were chicken based. Stinky's does a great gumbo too, meat based.
 
Skunke, what is up with you not mixing seafood and beef? You don't eat steak and lobster, nor Shrimp and sausage gumbo. You are missing out. Sometimes sausage gumbo needs a bit of shrimp for flavor.

Well, I will go a step further and say that one should never, ever, EVER put beef in gumbo! I could see a little sausage with the seafood, but really, country gumbo and coastal gumbos lean on locally available ingredients...same concept as the now trendy 'eating locally' concept.
 
Last edited:
I rarely make "seafood" gumbo. I often make "Shrimp and Sausage" gumbo. Funny thing about eating locally is that it is difficult to buy grade A Apples in NY and it is difficult to get Gulf Shrimp around the Gulf.
 
I rarely make "seafood" gumbo. I often make "Shrimp and Sausage" gumbo. Funny thing about eating locally is that it is difficult to buy grade A Apples in NY and it is difficult to get Gulf Shrimp around the Gulf.

I think you can score them at Nick's market or Shrimper's. Something that was easy to take for granted back home were shrimpers who brought ice chests full of their catch to sell on the side of the road, fresh and cheap without a middle man.
 
I rarely make "seafood" gumbo. I often make "Shrimp and Sausage" gumbo. Funny thing about eating locally is that it is difficult to buy grade A Apples in NY and it is difficult to get Gulf Shrimp around the Gulf.


Say What?

Check out either Goatfeathers (Seagrove or SRB) or Shrimpers (H98). Both have excellent local shrimp. I personally prefer Shrimpers because the owners/family are great people and the facility is always spotless. BTW they are currently on their traditional winter break and won't be open again until March.

During the Spring/Summer there have been Shrimp Boats parked at the Hwy331 bridge selling out of coolers. I've never tried them? Does anyone know anything about them?
 
Say What?

Check out either Goatfeathers (Seagrove or SRB) or Shrimpers (H98). Both have excellent local shrimp. I personally prefer Shrimpers because the owners/family are great people and the facility is always spotless. BTW they are currently on their traditional winter break and won't be open again until March.

During the Spring/Summer there have been Shrimp Boats parked at the Hwy331 bridge selling out of coolers. I've never tried them? Does anyone know anything about them?

The shrimp boats are grayt!!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top